Follow the leader

On my tiptoes, I sneak my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. I need to find a way to contribute without anyone objecting for once. I know what they have spent on me already is far beyond what I am worth. Quietly as possible, I search for everything needed to make strawberry french toast casserole, eggs, and bacon. Careful to avoid making any noise with the pots and pans, I move around the large kitchen, preparing the breakfast I have in mind. I hope I will be able to get everything done before anyone wakes up  I want it to be perfect, I want to show them I can be just as much a part of this as any of them, and that includes pitching in around the house when and where I can. After I had gone up to bed last night, I laid awake, taking in all the information they had indulged to me. I don’t have all the answers yet, but if the Academy is out there doing good things and helping those who have situations similar to mine then maybe the Academy is where I belong. Maybe I can belong here. All I want out of life is to help those who may not be able to help themselves and to find the place I belong.

I won’t make a definite decision until after the girls are brought to safety. This will give me an opportunity to know the boys better, ask the questions I still have and to prove that I am a good fit. Maybe I can be part of the Academy and keep my original plan to go to school.  I can surely do both, get a degree in something important and be part of the Academy. I know it isn’t going to be easy to not only work, but to also attend the university. I have done it all already before, school and work, all while keeping a secret. Surely, I can be part of the Academy and go to school, when it wouldn’t have to be a secret. I start humming as I work on breakfast, happy with my plan. I will prove that I belong in the Academy, and still go to Duke University when this case is closed and all the girls are safe. I will do better than what I have been told my entire life. I will make a difference. I just need to figure out how to get into college now that I already missed orientation. I can worry about that later; right now I will worry about the task at hand.  

“I caught you fucker!” North bellows, coming into the kitchen. Startled, I let out a squeak and shrink back against the counter.

“Shit. Sang Baby, I’m sorry. Fuck, I thought you were Luke fucking around with something,” North states, his face softening up.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to wake you,” I apologize. I really hadn’t meant to wake anyone.

“No need to apologize for waking anyone. I was already awake, and could hear someone moving around down here, I thought you were Luke. I’m sorry,” North apologizes.

“I’m making breakfast. I thought I would surprise all of you,” I say quietly.

“Here. Let me help. What are we making?” North questions, raising a dark eyebrow.

“No. No way. Ever since I got here, I haven’t been able to help,” I say with a pout.

“We can work together,” North offers.

“No. I want to do this on my own,” I insist.  

North furrows his brows together, his eyes appearing darker. He studies my face a moment and nods his head.

“Fine. How about I help with the coffee, then?” North questions, nodding towards the counter.

Churning my neck, I take a look at the contraption on the counter; full pout on my face, I turn and face North.  

“Only because I don’t want to break that thing.” I say pointing towards it.

“Have it your way,” North chuckles, grabbing a coffee container from the freezer. “What are you making anyway?” He starts pushing buttons on the expensive machine.

“Strawberry french toast casserole, bacon, and eggs,” I reply.

North takes a deep breath before replying, “At least it sounds fucking healthier than anything Luke would make.”