Uncle

Stumbling as I try to walk on shaky knees, my whole body trembles, and tears begin to pool up in my eyes. The older gentleman that is guiding me away from the bus station and my only chance to escape finally stops, taking a good look at me for the first time. The smile he has held since getting off the phone drops from his face.

“Miss Sang, I think I need to apologize. My nephew warned me about your state, and I didn’t listen. I don't mean to terrify you. I promise, I am with the good guys,” he starts, and my head begins spinning. Good guys? Nephew? Why is he apologizing?

“You look a little pale. Here. Sit little bird,” the man says, sounding concerned. He guides me until I am sitting with my back leaning against the trunk of a tree.  

“Let me start again. I’m Uncle, and my nephew, North Taylor, called me and said that he and his team needed help finding a pretty little bird. I was already in the neighborhood and had a little time to look for a bird such as you. And here we are. I should have started that way. Sorry for startling you,” he states sincerely. He pulls his phone from his pocket and begins pushing the buttons with his eyes furrowed.

At least I had gotten the answer to one question without having to say a peep. The jury is still out on whether or not they were the good guys. Decided, I take a deep breath and let it out slowly before opening my mouth.

“Why did you apologize to me?” I ask quietly. The man--Uncle’s eyebrows furrow together at my question.

“Miss. Sang, I think I’m confused about your question. I mean I apologized to you because I feel absolutely terrible for scaring you, and I wanted to apologize. It’s the best I can do right now to make up for frightening you,” he states. Before I had never gotten apologies for the things that were done to me, or for scaring me, for nothing.

“How do I know you guys are the good guys?” I question, hoping this doesn’t upset him, but if they are, then I should be fine.

“For one thing, no harm will come to you under their protection. For two, I have two nephews on that team, and I damn sure I know I raised them right. For three, all nine of them would never lay harm to another person. That is their job, to help those who need it.  I’m going to be honest with you, little miss. My nephews and their team have been working a long time protecting those who need protection; they are a family.  I don’t have a whole lot of details, but I do know, whatever you are in or just came out of is still very much a danger to you. Those boys will protect you at all costs and make sure whoever needs to pay, does. Trust them. They are the good guys,” he states.

After a few thoughtful minutes, Uncle begins to speak again.

“Miss Sang, if I may. Look closely at each of those boys, and I think you will find a little bit of your own pain inside each of them. I think you have dealt with far more than one should at your young age. Those boys have too. Trust them not to do what has already been done to them. Trust them to be better to you than the family you were born into.  You want answers; ask them, they will answer as honestly as they can. Know and understand what they do keep from you is for your own good. I know you have no reason to trust me or even those boys, but just look, you may be surprised at what you find,” Uncle states, sincerely and sounds more like a proud father than an uncle.

I study his eyes for a few seconds and see the truth and honesty behind them. Also a bit of sadness, and I couldn’t help but wonder what made those permanent marks there. This brought the thought of each of the guys.  Had I been too scared for myself? Had I had judged without really looking? Were they really good guys? Possibly. I would take Uncle’s words with me and make a decision based on everything, not my own perceived notion. Today I would block out everything my mother, sister, and father had ever said, and give them a fair shot. Silently I ponder over his words. Though I couldn’t help to be scared, I wouldn’t be afraid to seek the truth. If when they were done explaining themselves, and why I should trust them, I truly felt safer with them, then I would stay. If not I would be leaving.  I had to find a backbone at some point in my life, and now seemed like the best time. I knew either way, my fate was decided. Hearing the rustle of grass being walked on, I look up to find Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green coming towards us. I hear a mumble of something, but don’t catch what it is. As they stride closer, and I get a better look at their faces, I find myself relaxing. Neither holds a hint of anger about them, and they both looked relieved more than anything.