introductions are scary

“Hey Pumpkin, time to wake up.” I barely register the words being whispered by a strange male near my ear. Wait. Male? This realization causes me to fling up, in fear of the punishment that was sure to follow for oversleeping. Unfortunately, my abrupt movement did not allow enough time for my personal alarm to move in time, and I end up hitting my forehead against their nose. Without thinking to check on him first, I quickly throw the blanket I used last night and rush to the bathroom. Grabbing a wash rag, I put it under the faucet and turn on the cold water, hoping I haven’t caused too much trouble and the punishment will be mild. I wring out the rag and rush back to scene of the crime. I stop dead in my tracks surprised by the scene in front of me. Instead of an angry man, I find Dr. Sean Green standing there with his light green eyes twinkling, but also filled with worry. It almost seems as if he is amused by my mishap, while also concerned about something.

“Well Pumpkin, I guess I know better than to put my head so close to yours when I am waking the sleeping beauty,” he states gently.

“I-I-I’m sorry,” I manage to stutter out quietly before stepping forward to hand him the rag still in my hand. He takes the offered wash rag, but instead of placing it on his nose he sets it on the bedside table.

“Don’t even think twice about it. My nose doesn’t even hurt,” he says, keeping his green eyes on my own. When I nod my head trying to believe what he says, the doctor seems to relax a little and some of the worry disappears.

“Now Pumpkin, are you ready to meet the rest of my brothers and enjoy some breakfast?” he questions.

Not wanting to find out what happens if I anger him, I nod my head in agreement, before answering with vocally.

“Yes sir,” I manage out in a small whisper.

He doesn’t seem to fully believe me, but starts heading for the door anyway, pausing once he reaches the threshold and waits for me to follow him. I can’t help but to worry on how many brothers he has and how many men actually live in this mansion-type home. I let my eyes wander around as I follow behind, noting that while it seems to be complete chaos at first glance, it is actually beautifully decorated with style and flare. The house is as grand on the inside as what it had seemed on the outside or at least from what I could tell in the dark night.

“Okay Miss Sang, hop on up there on the barstool,” Dr. Green states cheerfully, patting said stool for emphasis. I start to open my mouth to protest, but think twice on it. He has been charming and nice so far this morning, but maybe he just has a higher tolerance on mishaps before getting really angry. Obeying, I hop on the stool that he indicated and wait quietly for my next direction. Maybe this is a test to see how well I listen,

“There. Now, Owen will be down here in just a minute. After he arrives, the boys will come to introduce themselves one at a time. If at anytime it gets to be overwhelming, let us know and we will hold off a bit on more introductions,” he pauses and squares himself so we are eye to eye.

“This is very important. Not one of the boys, including Owen or myself, will hurt you,” he concludes, straightening up and steps back.

I can only manage a small nod in compliance. Not sure what to expect now, I fold my hands in my lap and bow my head, waiting for my next instructions.

“Miss Sang, I trust you slept well,” Mr. Owen Blackbourne states from the door, gaining my attention.

Positive that he is talking about the room and not how I actually slept, I respond quietly, making sure to keep my eyes on him, “It’s a lovely room. My night was fine. Thank you, Mr. Owen Blackbourne”