Chapter 10

"Hey," Gemma smiled suspiciously as Jax strolled into TM the next morning later than usual. "You have a visitor," she remarked.

Jax's eyebrows furrowed as he peeked out the dusty blinds to see Wendy lingering across the lot by the clubhouse. His shoulders slumped, a heavy sigh escaping his lips, as he prepared some much needed coffee.

"What's Wendy want?" He took his first sip. "Abel at school?"

"He is," Gemma smiled. "Jax, she wants her family. I think it's time to give her what she's been working for since the day that boy was born."

"Ma," he said warningly. "Let's not start this."

"Why not?" Her palms pressed against the stack of invoices on the desk and she pushed herself to stand. "You loved Wendy, you two were married and have Abel, it's a good fit."

"That ain't a good fit," he laughed ruefully. "Wendy was," Jax didn't want to be unkind. "We had fun and I love her for giving me Abel but that's it. There was never shit to work for, to fix, because it's not there."

"The brunette?" Gemma asked with an air of superiority and disgust. "Is something there with her?"

Jax smiled a little, a flash of the romantic man he hid so well, and looked away from Gemma. "Yeah, there's something. Julia isn't on your radar, Ma. I mean it."

"What's going on with the Mayans? Asking was her way of relenting, giving Jax what he wanted, without actually admitting she was giving up.

Cocking his eyebrow Jax shook his head. "I'm going to go deal with the other crazy woman in my life."

"Are you okay?" Wendy asked, immediately moving to pet his cheek when she saw the damage.

"I'm fine, darlin'," he smiled. "What's going on?"

"Someone's been bothering me," she explained, seemingly embarrassed. "I didn't want to bring it up, I didn't think he was really an issue, but he is and I don't have anyone else I trust."

When Wendy pulled down her shirt to show Jax the bruise along her chest she saw his face instantly darken. "Who is he?" Jax asked, his hand ghosting over the bruise.

"A new guy at my meetings," she explained. "Tomas."

"When do go next?"

"Tonight, five o'clock at that Baptist church in Lodi."

Jax nodded. "I'll be there; I'll talk to him."

Joyfully, Wendy threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. "Thank you, Jax."

"Of course, darlin'," he hugged her back. "I'll meet you there around quarter of, alright?"

Wendy nodded and slowly walked off, her eyes never leaving him for more than a few seconds until he disappeared into the clubhouse.

"I want Ope and Happy with me," he said as they all sat in chapel heading toward the end of church.

"Who's supposed to be meeting us?" Happy grumbled from his spot across the table.

"Alvarez and his sergeant," Jax explained, "I told him it was about his VP."

Opie stubbed out his cigarette and awkwardly, as usual, fiddled with his rings. "We sure it's not about Barosky's niece?"

"Julia?" Jax asked feigning surprise. "Nah, they made it clear it was me."

"And were not supposed to mention her, at all?" Tig looked at Jax with a playful grin.