Chapter 45

"Are we really doing this?" Julia asked, clicking her seatbelt as Jax reversed out of the driveway in her SUV with Mila safely in her car seat in the back. "It seems so weird, a day out as a family when tonight we're planning on-"

"No," he stopped her, "Don't say it. Family time, Jules. No business talk."

She smiled and nodded, "I like that. What are we doing?"

"We're gonna see a game," he said proudly.

Julia looked at him with a toothy smile. "That is very sweet but not exactly newborn appropriate."

"You tell me what she would actually enjoy and we'll do it," he laughed.

"Remember when we just used to go to games and meet up in secret?" Julia asked with a soft tone as she thought back to the beginning of their relationship. "It was so simple."

"It was," he laughed heartily. "Shit, I was so into you, babe."

"You had a crush," she teased. "You nerd."

"You didn't?" He scoffed. "I'm Jax fuckin' Teller."

"Oh god," she rolled her eyes. "Shut up. I wanted you at first cause you're hot and I knew Charlie would be furious but, you know, things change."

He nodded, taking her hand in his and resting it on her thigh. "I love you."

"I love you too," she sighed happily.

They enjoyed the sunshine and the game and, for a few hours, they were like every other family in attendance. It was later that night, while Gemma and Nero watched over Mila, during their meeting with Marks that they felt especially different than most new parents.

"You really want to do this?" Marks asked after a few days had passed. "We don't have much time, he's planning a massive move on Charming over the weekend."

"I do," Jax said darkly. "We don't really have a choice."

"No," Marks chuckled, "You don't."

"Then what's plan?" Julia asked boldly despite knowing how little Marks thought of her.

He looked her up and down and turned back to Jax. "You request a meeting with Pope and make sure he knows it's about his dead men."

"I'm not the one that asked," Jax said with annoyance. "Talk to Julia."

"Fine," he said with disgust. "You need to beg Pope, tell him you're sorry and you want to meet to make it up to him."

"Yeah, whatever," she scoffed. "Then what? There is no room for error here."

"I'll make sure it's a small meeting," Marks grinned. "All Jax has to do it kill him."

"How?" Jax growled. "I'm supposed to just pull and shoot him?"

"That is exactly what you do," Marks said. "It'll just be us, so I can switch the narrative with the Niners."

"Okay," Julia sighed. "This was my mistake and if this is what we have to do to settle the score, I'm in."

"Are you sure?" Jax asked with sincerity.

Julia nodded, "Yeah."

Marks and Jax shook hands and spoke for another moment before Marks left them along. She opened her arms and moved toward him for a hug. "I hate this."

"I know," he kissed her temple as he smoothed her hair down her back. "We got this, babe."

"Are you sure?" She looked at him with fear in her eyes. "How do you know you're plan is gonna work?"

"I'm not good at a lot but I'm good at being a damn outlaw, Jules."

She smiled and nodded, "Take me home, Outlaw."

--

*A few days later*

Pope wore a smug grin as Jax and Julia arrived, both on his bike, to the rusted and overgrown train tracks. "Mr. Teller," he said ominously, "Ms. Barosky."

"Pope," Jax said but Julia remained silent.

"You're lucky I respect you," Pope said as they shook hands. "Or else I'd make her blow me as part of this apology."

Julia huffed, her hands balling into fists, but she controlled herself.

"Aside from that comment," Jax growled, "I respect you and you're lucky I do too. Your man," he nodded to Marks, "Is planning on running shit. He made a deal with us; Julia would be clear of the dealer murders if I," he pulled his gun, "Kill you." With gun in hand, Jax looked at Marks and winked, aiming it at his head. "But somehow I don't think he was being straight with me."

Pope turned on his heel and instantly killed Marks with a bullet to the head.

"He wouldn't have held up his end," Pope said as he nonchalantly put his gun away. "Everyone knew this was happening tonight, if I didn't walk out of here, all my guys would know it was you, or him." With his hand extended, he moved closer to Jax and Julia. "I appreciate this and I apologize for the crude comment."

They both shook his hand, Julia first then Jax, and accepted the apology. "We good?" Julia asked hesitantly.

"We are good," he smiled. "I'll pull back from the docks and you'll stop killing my men?"

"I'm done," she said with a tiny, crooked grin. "No more of that. I'm backing away from the heavy stuff, so, Jax will be running the docks from now on."

"Motherhood," he sighed dramatically, "Changes everything."

"Oh," Julia laughed, "No. The docks are Barosky turf, I'm just contracting out for the labor. If you get me," she winked.

"I see why you like her," Pope said to Jax. "It's been a pleasure."

"Likewise," Julia said.

As Pope retreated, driving himself now, Jax turned to Julia and pulled her close. "That was amazing," he kissed her. "I'll call Hap to deal with this."

"That was crazy hot," she growled. "We are a fucking awesome team."

Jax guided her back to his Harley and handed her the extra helmet. "We're running this shit, like I always said."

--

Oh man, this one is almost done! Just a little bit more before the final chapter! I love you guys! xoxo