A Heartbeat Away

Rhys X Reader requested by SkySilvanus

Sorry this is so late!  I hope this is close to what you were requesting?  I had to change it up at a few places because my mind wasn't cooperating with me, so I hope you enjoy! 

Unedited

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhys couldn't help but stare from afar, it's a wonder you hadn't noticed him yet.  He was like a little school boy, watching you as you grabbed your food from the cafeteria's salad bar; sleek outfit, hair done up and make up put on to outline your features.  If he hadn't been hiding behind a bush then you definitely would have seen him, or someone else might have.  He kicked himself for doing this, but you were so entrancing to him it was a surprise he hadn't tripped over something, he couldn't keep his eyes off you whenever you were around. 

And your perfume whenever you would walk by him in the hall stopped him in his tracks, making him blush intensely and have butterflies in his stomach.  Rhys had considered asking you out to lunch many times before, but there was always something stopping him, and that thing was his boss. Hugo Vasquez.

He always knew when to pop up beside you at the right moment before Rhys made any attempt to come talk to you, and it pissed him off, then all of his courage was gone.  He would watch as Hugo would get all up in your personal space and give this most hungry look; and to Rhys it was honestly disgusting.  Someone like him didn't deserve to have you, and he wasn't saying this to rude or anything; you just didn't seem like the type of person to be around him.  But you didn't ignore him or push him away; you remained kind and hard-working after every conversation.

There was something Rhys could have done to get your attention, or to at least have a couple of seconds to talk to you, it was killing him to just sit there.  Something small should work; Rhys caught you sometimes staring at just the smallest things and have a wide smile on your face, maybe a flower would work.  Hyperion had a little flower cart near the dining area (God knows why Hugo put it there) that could provide Rhys just a good enough chance to speak with you.  He figured it was a good start.

Making his way through the crowd, Rhys dug out his wallet and chose out a flower; a rose.  A rose signified beauty and grace, just like you did, it was perfect.  Rhys smiled to himself as he paid for the gift and turned to go find you; hopefully you were still at the salad bar, the selection was huge.  His chest began to tighten as your smile made it's way into his thoughts.

And as feared, Rhys stopped in his tracks to see Hugo walking towards you, looking sharper than usual.  His hands were up to his collarbone, fixing the new black and golden tie he had gotten not long ago; Rhys could see the look in his eyes, and it wasn't very flattering.  Instead of pouting and walking away, Rhys slipped his way over to a nearby table close to where you and Hugo stood, the rose hiding in his jacket pocket; maybe he could learn a few things about you.

"Evening (y/n)."  Hugo started, getting your attention as you still continued to place your meal on a plate.  "You're looking lovely today."

I'm gonna vomit, Rhys thought as he stuck out his tongue a bit.

You chuckle softly and move your eyes to your meal, taking a step downwards closer to the end of the salad bar. 

"Thanks.  I thought you had a meeting today?"

Hugo shrugged his shoulders.  "I'm the boss, I can be late."

You point your fork at his chest, one eyebrow raised and the other down.  This type of behavior from people you did not like; it was obvious to Rhys now.

"See, that's exactly the kind of attitude that gets your employees to hate you."

"Eh, half of 'em already do anyways," he says quickly.  You roll your eyes and continue with what you're doing.  "What makes one more?"