Introduction: Under the Influence of Paulo Coelho

“I DREAM MY PAINTING AND THEN PAINT MY DREAM” - Vincent Van Gogh

FROM Angie Banicki

TO Angie Banicki

subject 30 Before 30 

Dear Friend,

As I near  my 30th  birthday, I find myself very happy with  my career, my life choices, and  the friendships and  work relationships I’ve made. I am writing to you because at some point  in my life you contributed to this happiness in at least one  of the above. I feel very lucky to have such  amazing people around me who have touched my life. With that said,  I’ve found there’s  something I still seem to be searching for to truly feel complete before blowing out the candles on my 30th. I’m writing to ask you to help me create my first trip to Europe by providing me with  a glance at one  of your fondest memories.

I will be traveling in July to spend 30 days with  30 experiences and  I would be honored to include your moment into my trip. I want to go to places where others have found inspiration whether on their first trip, most memorable trip, or at their favorite spot  to visit. I plan  to document my “30 Before 30” trip and  hope, as someone who has made an impact on my life, you’ll be a part of my adventure! Below are a few questions to help you describe your experience. I urge you to be as simple or as creative as you’d like. Thanks in advance and  you’ll be hearing from me before or along the way! My plan  is to hit the following five cities:

LONDON,  AMSTERDAM,  PARIS,  BARCELONA,  ROME

What was your first memory of one  of the above cities?

Where’d you go and  why?

Where did  you meet someone new and  unexpectedly? 

If you were traveling alone, where would you go back  to revisit?

A restaurant, specific street,  museum, hotel, or park bench….

Do you know someone there I should go see? When people ask me about New York City, I say go meet Frankie the owner of Rao’s because he sparks  challenging conversation, he makes you feel part of a family, and  you leave with  a full stomach and  a bigger heart.

If you’ve visited in July, was there a specific event or tradition you took part in?

Are you going to be there in July? If so, could I meet you along my journey?

Thanks!

Angie

I hit SEND, and my heart leapt.

30 Before 30. Thirty days in Europe. Thirty inspired moments of adventure to live it up before my 30th birthday. Just the idea of it gave me purpose. Here was a reminder that I could choose a new path, even if it was only for 30 days.

A little background first.

Ten years ago, if you had told me that at 29, a normal week for me would be taking Sienna Miller out for a night on the town, going to see an NBA Lakers game across the court from Jack Nicholson, and taking a celebrity-filled private jet to Vegas for a Maroon 5 concert, I would have laughed and said, “Order me another shot, crazypants”— of course, secretly hoping you were right.

I was the dorkypants, growing up. I was the one who saved her way to college by working shifts at our local Pizza Hut in Oregon, Illinois. 

I didn’t miss a single class at Northwestern—they cost a lot of money and, come rain, shine, sloshed, or half asleep, I got my pants in that seat. Hardworking and literally corn-fed, I guess you might say I was earnest and driven from the get-go.