PARIS Chapter 17 - The Wizard of La Plage

DESTINATION La Plage, Paris

INSPIRATION Eva Longoria’s advice to eat the ravioli and meet the owner there.

The day that I planned to hit La Plage started with a long, dreamy walk, finishing at La Musée d’Orsay, where Cassian Elwes had encouraged me to explore the cinematography exhibit (when I’d seen him in London.)

A woman my mother’s age offered to take my photo when she saw me awkwardly posing and clicking, attempting to capture a shot of myself holding an apple with a faraway statue involved. High culture at its best.

I thanked her and, examining me with mother’s eyes, she asked why I was by myself. I gave a quick summary of my traveling adventure, including Eva Longoria’s dinner suggestion, and then was on my way.

An hour later, still not having found a cinematography section (the best and maybe only way to keep me at a museum that long is to give me something hard to find), I was exploring the photography when the same woman approached with an apologetic smile.

“Thank God I found you! Could you tell me the restaurant where Eva Longoria likes to eat? My husband is dying to know. I told him about your trip and he wants to go to her favorite spot for dinner tonight.” Despite her teasing eye roll, I could see how excited she was to gift her husband with this knowledge. 

Happy to share one of my moments and thrilled that this surrogate mom now approved of my adventure, I pull out my trusty color-coded journal. 

“La Plage. I think it means ‘the beach’ in French.” 

She beamed, “Thank you! You made my husband a happy man. You have no idea—he loves Eva Longoria!”

Little did she know their excitement put a smile on my face for the rest of the day. I hadn’t given them the name of the owner mentioned by Eva, though. I was saving that for myself.

It was past 9 p.m. when I finally went for my run along the River Seine that summery July evening. It was still light under the most beautiful dark-pink tinted sky as the Eiffel Tower twinkled on, as it did every night at 10 p.m. on the dot. I stopped and stood on the Pont du Change bridge and watched the tower sparkle. Beneath the summer stars, I felt recharged and especially independent. Tonight I decided

I would travel solo to meet this famed Toto. I knew my friend Jen and current host in Paris had wanted to join me, but I was relishing this day by myself.

I showered quickly, realizing that I was now so hungry I could eat a small animal—and I don’t eat meat. Since it was almost too late for dinner, I didn’t bother to call the restaurant for a reservation; I threw on a summer dress and jumped in a cab.

“La Plage! Hungry! …I mean hurry.”

I hurried down the Port de Javel Haut, spotted the boat-like restau- rant on the water, and ran on board to the door.

Taken aback by the trendy interior of the restaurant, a shored boat with creamy cushion chairs, dark accents, and twinkling lights along the water, I was touched—sad even, immediately regretting my decision to come alone. This was the kind of place I wanted to walk into with a girlfriend or even a date to romanticize about a life abroad. It was the kind of restaurant I lived for—lots of character but trendy and chic. This was no tourist trap. Inside the people were French and fabulous.

These, finally, were the Parisians I had been looking for!

FROM Eva Longoria

TO Angie Banicki

subject 30 Before 30

La Plage…the best  ravioli. It is dinner on a boat  that doesn’t move. Toto is the owner, ask for him!