PARIS Chapter 14 - Shameless Shopping

DESTINATION Vintage Shopping, Paris

INSPIRATION Emmy Rossum decodes Paris’ vintage scene. 

People say they go to Paris or Rome and are inspired to dress just a little bit better. Emmy Rossum inspired me to try.

I am no fashionista. In fact, I’ve been known to wear workout clothes to certain occasions of the non-exercise kind–and without knowing if it is appropriate or not. PS, I was once hired for a job in my running shorts. 

Jessica Paster, a celebrity stylist who’s actually dressed Emmy Rossum as well, has scolded me multiple times for wearing tennis shoes with skirts, having stains on my dresses, and mismatching accessories with clothing.

She once wrote on my FB wall, “Angie, you are a beautiful girl with gorgeous legs but you’ve got to stop dressing like you are going to the barn to feed the animals.”

And so, as I walked the streets of Paris armed with Emmy’s incredible guide to all the great vintage shops, I was impressed but not really buying. Shopping is not as much fun alone–and I needed those credit cards to pay for experiences. Window shopping and chatting with the chic store clerks gave me all I needed from fashion in Paris. 

That said, I had to include Emmy’s recommendations here. They’re too good for all the true fashionistas to miss! 

FROM Emmy Rossum

TO Angie Banicki

subject Re:

FIRST of all, THANK YOU for including me in this email chain! Its an honor that you think of me like that! and  CONGRATS, you are going to have a wonderful time!

PARIS! 

only my favorite city  in the whole world! obviously go to eiffel tower. its really stunning at sunset!  and  it normally is all lit up with sparkly lights at night

you MUST go to LA DUREE bakery/restaurant on the champs elysee and  eat the MACAROONS. take some home with  you. they last about a week and  are the MOST DELICIOUS THING IN THE WORLD (they are also  actually sold  in london in harrods food  court  by the candy section but somehow taste much  better in paris!)

SHOP! heres a list of great shopping! 

-Mona, Rue Bonaparte, 6th -fun mix of designer clothes and  accessories (mcqueen,lanvin, pierre hardy)

-Montaigne Market, Avenue Montaigne, 8th -great designer stuff (lanvin,alaia,givenchy)

Iris, Rue de Grenelle, 7th - amazing shoes

-Sabia  Rosa, 7th - beautiful lingerie

-L’Eclarier, 4th - more great designer (balenciaga, chloe, rick owens)

New Rick Owens and  Marc Jacobs stores in the Palais Royal

-Didier Ludot, Palais Royal  2nd  - incredible vintage, but insanely overpriced

Gabrielle Geppert, Palais Royal, 2nd  - cute vintage finds, great accessories 

-Iglaine, 2nd  - random selection of vintage, but some rare vintage Alaias  that are incredibly priced 

-Quidam de Revel, 4th - appointment only vintage store 

The 1st and  8th have the best  designer stores. The Marais and  St. Germain des  Pres are ideal for small  boutiques and  vintage 

MOST OF ALL! HAVE  FUN! BREATHE IN THE AIR! REMEMBER THAT EVERY MEMORY YOU MAKE YOU WILL HAVE FOREVER! KEEP A JOURNAL OF FUNNY THING AND MAKE SURE TO TAKE A TON OF PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

i am so happy for you! 

love

emmy 

BIO  >> EMMY  ROSSUM 

Emmy Rossum is not just an actress with a beautiful voice, though she  is  that.  She’s  played  the  leads in films like “Phantom of the Opera” and “Songcatcher,” and now is the  star  of  “Shameless,”  opposite William H. Macy. Emmy is actually a  smart  young  entrepreneur  and this  is  what  drew  me  in  the  first time I met her. I’ve enjoyed watching  her  stardom  rise  in  tandem with her business acumen as she markets her first album. On top of all  that,  she  somehow  knows  how to  make  a  farmer’s  outfit  look  like fashion. Perhaps it runs in the family—Vera  Wang  is  her  aunt! 

MONA

Owner Mona Blonde commissioned Philippe Starck’s former assistant, Christian Gavoille, to design a contemporary interior with traditional influences. The result is a faux fashion show setting – complete with editor seats – heavily accented with rouge and porcelain colors from Caravaggio’s paintings, of course, no show would be complete without model, drool-worthy designer duds, “it” bags, and killer stilettos from Lanvin, Azzedine Alaïa, Stella McCartney, and Alexander McQueen, and shows by Bottega Venetta and Pierre Hardy.

TRIPPING POINT

Paris is to fashion as animal is to farm. You don’t have do farms or fashion to have a good time grazing in both.