BARCELONA Chapter 20 - Bohemian Barcelona

DESTINATION Ed Maklouf’s hood 

INSPIRATION Kevin Parker hooks me up with a guy who imports the world’s craziest hats and we accidentally wander into a “happening.”

FROM Kevin XXXXXX

TO Angie Banicki

subject Re: 30  before 30 

Angie, 

Here’s  old  itinerary from a trip to Barcelona that has  a bunch of info  on it. Also,  contact my buddy Ed Maklouf when you get to Barcelona, he’s one of the most  interesting guys I’ve met.

KP 

The bus turistica seems a little cheesy, but  it is actually a great way to see the city and go to all of the big tourist attractions. You can  hop on and off at anytime, so it is a good way to maximize your time in getting to the main sites. 

Make sure you see as much of gaudi’s work as possible. Parque Guell is my personal favorite, and casa mila  and casa battlo are also worth a trip. I’m sure you will check out  las  ramblas, but  off of the strip  are barrio gotico and the latin  quarter, which are cool neighborhoods to walk around. Also  off of las  ramblas is la boqueria, which is a huge outdoor market. There are a few restau- rants  in there (think  outdoor diners) that have some great tapas. Porto olympico is pretty touristy, but  near the water if you want to walk around. The picasso museum is cool. 

If you can  go to a soccer game, definitely do  it. FC barcelona (barca) is one of the proudest and most  famous clubs in europe and their  stadium holds over 100,000. This is a religious experi- ence. If they are not playing espanyol is the other team in town (like the mets to barca’s yankees).

I know you said you wanted to go to/near the beach. Sitges is a little artsy town that is a 35 minute train ride from barcelona. They have a film festival in the fall, and it is a pretty relaxed place.

From talking to my friend Kevin, I thought he sent me to meet his best buddy. But when Ed and I met in Barcelona, I got the real story. “Kevin and I only met once, in London. I think it was at a late night party in a basement somewhere!”

That’s the beauty of connection, though. It can happen in a moment. Ed became quite the character in my Barcelona story and has since become a friend for life. He’s an entrepreneur and a risk taker, always with another new idea. He’s the founder of a Barcelona startup called Siine, trying to build a better keyboard for intuitive texting. Ed later enthusiastically told me about his idea to import very strange, tall, striped cone-shaped hats. Ed was nothing like I could have imagined. He was a skinny white dude with long hippy hair—no Spaniard at all. When we met, he was nervous about making sure he provided a good moment for me. I tried to calm him down about it. “Meeting you, my friend’s friend in Barcelona, is special enough!” But that just seemed to add more pressure.

When he learned where I had been so far—an exhilarating run through Guell Park high above the city, the Ritz Barcelona (where they named a gin cocktail after me)—he decided that it was time to take me off the beaten path. 

“I’m going to take you to a restaurant on the Bohemian side of town,” he told me. What crazy part of town we ended up in, I don’t know. The restaurant was outside, and it didn’t feel like a restaurant at all. It felt like friends cooking BBQ outside.

We had barely settled in when I noticed something happening. Maybe 30 feet away there was a blank wall, and two guys covering it in white paper.

Ed waved it off as nothing, but I said, “No, I think something’s about to happen.”

Sure enough, a guy got up and said in Spanish, very grandly, “I want to welcome you all here!” There were only about seven of us in the whole place.

We watched as the two artists both lit joints. Then they welcomed their parents to the event and made a little speech. Ed and I looked at each other, amazed.

Finally they started drawing. They drew huge circles, and then started filling them in. Walkers passed by the work-in-process. Were they part of the art? One man stopped, picked up chalk, and helped fill in one of the circles. The men patted his back and he walked on. They continued drawing.

Next they drew a little man, and the man’s shadow, and connected it to the circle.

Was it abstract? Hula hoops? Worlds colliding?

I started to wish I was smoking the pot. People walking through the restaurant area were as confused as we were. Ed seemed embarrassed at this random, not all that impressive art show, but I loved that it was bizarre and fun and completely unexpected. It didn’t have to be Gaudi—it was alive, and that was enough.

Ed was reluctant to engage with the artists, and even more reluctant when I wanted to get a picture. But I persisted and the artists were thrilled. Thanks to little American me, they now had an international audience for their work. I still have no idea what they were really up to, except that the circles were definitely worlds. But their enthusiasm was so contagious that even Ed opened up to it. 

STREET ART IN BARCELONA

After the death of Franco in the 1970s, Barcelona evolved into a bohemian, cultural city, creating a place and environment where the people could reclaim their space, their culture, and language. Over the next decades, the city flourished with street art freedom: graffiti along the city walls, music in every corner. During this urban cultural renaissance, artists created a public gallery where the people could enjoy a city which is flourishing with artistic expression. The street art of this time often provoked playful interchanges or posed political, economic, or cultural questions. There was a public conversation between the artists and the people in the streets. – from The Mapping Barcelona Art Project

BIO  >> KEVIN  PARKER

Talent manager (Rain Management Group) and TV producer Kevin  Parker  seems  to  have  the special gift of being omnipresent. He’s been a staple at every birth - day  party,  every  award  season event,  every  Sundance  shindig

I’ve  gone  to  for  years.  I  don’t know how he does it, but it’s impressive,  and  that’s  coming  from a  professional  goer-outer  herself. 

TRIPPING  POINT

Art is most  fun when it’s least pretentious. Shift your attention to the artist,  and let their  enthusiasm carry you.