Fifty Six

Maria walked to her class with a determined look on her face, after she helped her Professor with filling and matching some student personal information. Turns out, she got something that filled another thing and it caught her off guard.

She felt stupid and also shocked at first, but when she looks back and realizes that it was actually very obvious. Then she put two and two together, and she got four. Of course, she wasn't dumb. 

In the corner of her eye she saw George--blondie, walk to the class with a blank look on his face, as if he was thinking about something. The moment he saw her, he broke the eye contact and quietly took a seat next to her.

Huh, that's a first.

The professor came in and the class began. It had started fifteen minutes ago, but Blondie was unusually quiet and it bothered Maria, which made her think.

Maybe my suspicions were right.

But she needed to be careful with her steps. She had planned this all night and she also prayed that she would be wrong. But this was her chance to prove that.

She sneak her hand to her bag and slowly type a text message, the minute she sent the text she could hear a phone buzz right next to her which made her hold her breath. She glanced at Blondie who checked his phone, but then put it back again.

Maybe it's a coincidence, I'll try it once more.

She silently typed another text message and just like the first time, the moment she pressed send, she could hear another phone buzz right next to her. She gasped in shock and her hands start to tremble.

I'm gonna call him, just to make sure.

She took a deep breath and pressed the call button. Suddenly a loud ringtone of barbie girl blared through the class, all eyes were on the person who satt next to her.

Oh my god, I'm gonna die.

"Sorry about that." She heard, George, or should I say Austin, say and turn off his phone.

Maria was struggling to breathe, her asthma was starting to kick in and she was panicking. She didn't understand why.

George--or Austin, on the other hand, was looking at with a confused look but when he realize that Maria was gasping for air, he gently touched her shoulder.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked, his Britsh accent was still there. 

Unbelievable, even in the state like this he is still faking it.

"Everybody move, she's having a panic attack!" He said when all the students started to approach Maria to see what was going on.

"C...an't br..eath." She said in the middle of the hyperventilating.

"Move. Don't crowd her, damn it move!" He was yelling this time.

"Everyone, move let her breath" she heard someone say from the other side.

"Yeah, move! She's having a panic attack let her breath!"

"Maria, don't close your eyes. Stay with me." He said when he looked down at her. Her breathing was getting worse.

She was feeling dizzy because of the lack of oxygen and her panic attack was getting worse since the people kept surrounding her. Her eyelids felt too heavy and she couldn't open it any longer. She slowly closed her eyes but tried to listen to what he was saying.

"Stay with me, maria." He whispers

And that was the last thing she hears before she blanked out.