Chapter Eighteen

"Do you remember when you promised you wouldn't ignore me when I went into labor?" I asked with a laugh as I brushed some hair out of Niall's pale face. "Because I do."

Niall sat up a little in his hospital bed and laughed. "Yes."

"And then you put a spider on Theo."

"Best uncle in the world, eh?"

"You know it." He gave me a sideways smile. "I thought I was going to be an awful father."

"I think you're a great one." I kissed his head as he closed his eyes. Slowly he reopened them and I fell in love with him all over again.

"I don't want the girls seeing me like this," He whispered as he reached for my hand. He gently rubbed it with his thumb as I gently squeezed his. "I don't even want you in here right now."

I wasn't sure what to say so I simply bit my lip. Of course I didn't like seeing him so close to death, but I also wanted to see him get better each day. The visiting hours available were short and I often was signing paperwork while I was there, but I sat by his bedside everyday and did my best to keep his spirits up.

"The boys really want to come out and see you too." I whispered.

Niall sighed. "Eh, the lads always wanna come out here." He chuckled. "Ireland's the best and they know it too. Even you have to agree."

"England still has a special place in my heart you know." I grinned.

"Who cares about England. Ireland is the greatest place in all the world."

I laughed as the sparkle in Niall's eye returned. "You're cute."

"Thank ya. Eh, is Lukey Boy coming out to see me?"

"Oh not this again."

And then his infectious laugh rang out, even as his body grew weary and his sickness growing stronger.

"5SOS, babe. You remember them, don't you?"

"You were obsessed with them."

"I was not."

I shook my head, cleared my throat, and after years of living out here, I pulled out my best Irish accent to impersonate him. "These guys are sick, eh mate? Can I be in da band? You think the other lads will mind, honey? Man, they're the craic!"

Niall burst out into laughter as I did too. "I love your accent."

"I love yours."

"Hey, did you ever have a tumblr dedicated to me?" He gave me a lopsided grin as my eyes widened.

"What are you talking about? What tumblr? Psh."

"You had all kinda of crazy passwords on your laptop when we first went out, remember?" He recalled. "If I touched your phone or anything, you'd probably throw it out the window." Niall suddenly burst out into laughter. "Louis said you shipped all your folders of our selfies on your laptop to Uganda. He's hilarious, ain't he?"

I laughed. The bond that Louis and Niall had never failed to make me smile. If anyone could make Niall laugh it would have to be Louis. Louis could say that he kidnapped his daughters and Niall would laugh like it was the funniest joke in the world.

He literally texted Niall that and Niall thought it was a joke. The girls were completely fine but it still showed how much Niall admired Louis' sense of humor. I could wait until the other boys got here. Even if we were all gathered around for a sad reason, the boys would always make it light hearted in some way and nothing would make Niall happier to see his best mates.

They promised they would always be together in each other's lives. It gave me some hope. The boys had always given me hope whether it was an unexpected laugh from a video diary or a big smile from a music video release (or leak whoops). Now more than ever, we needed even just a glimmer of hope and seeing the boys fulfill the small promise that they would always be together was just enough.

The boys did fly out and they all hugged and cried and wished Niall the best. Their bond was simply unbreakable and would last lifetimes after this moment.

In fact it did.

That made it all worthwhile.