Chapter 17

Chapter 17

An unfamiliar car was parked in front of Cora's house when she got home. The meeting with Frannie had encouraged her to some extent, but the stress of the last few days left her exhausted.

Shit! The last thing I want right now is company. This has been...I just want to curl up on the couch...throw a blanket over me...forget everything....

Entering the house, she recognized Father McGrath's voice. He probably brought the books he promised. She panicked.

What are they talking about? Angel!

She hurried into the kitchen. "Good afternoon, Father," she said, unsmiling, setting her purse in a corner and hanging up her keys. Today he was dressed in full clerical garb, she noted, and the stop at their house was likely one of many calls. Good-perhaps he would be in a hurry to leave.

"I just offered Father a cup of coffee and put on a fresh pot. It's almost done. You want some?" asked Cisco.

Cora groaned inwardly. Father had to leave before he said something dangerous. How was that going to happen if he was waiting for coffee and chatting? Certainly he would bring up their talk, if he hadn't already.

Maybe she could distract him. Desperately trying to figure out what to do, she bustled around the kitchen, pulled things out, put a frying pan on the stove, and began to slice vegetables and meat.

Cisco looked at Cora and narrowed his eyes. "Can't you let that go and sit with us?"

"I'll be done in a minute. Let me get dinner started," she said, and kept chopping.

"Maybe I should get going," Father said, glancing back and forth as if sensing tension.

"I'm sure we're keeping you from something important," Cora agreed. "It was good of you to bring the books, but if you're busy, you don't need to stay to be polite."

"Cora," Cisco said succinctly, with another puzzled glance at Cora. "Father was just saying it was a relief to get away from the church for a while, and he'd love to have coffee and some of your cookies."

"Oh...sorry...I didn't mean to be rude. I thought I'd taken enough of his time the other day, and now here he is doing another favor." She didn't look up from her work at the counter.

"Not at all," Father said. "I haven't had the occasion to delve into parapsychology for years. It's been an interesting diversion. I could point out some particularly informative sections of the books...," he began.

"No!" Cora interrupted, and then tried to cover her involuntary outburst. "I'm sure you marked the pages. To tell you the truth Father, it's been a difficult day and I'm not sure I'm up to discussing this now. Do you think you could leave the books and I'll call you after I read them?"