Chapter 33

Chapter 33

To be read after my death:

Daniel J. Cavanaugh-A Confession

This letter is the product of a year's contemplation, but it is fitting to begin the New Year by sealing it away for my lifetime. I write now with deep regret for sad events of a number of years ago, and a desire to clear my mind of a certain matter, a matter known to no one but me. It was Reverend Tully's suggestion to set down on paper these troubling events, my part in them, and the reasons for my actions, in the hope that in the telling I will achieve some measure of peace and surcease from tormenting thoughts.

I leave this letter in the hands of a man who has become a friend, although we began as fierce opponents. That is Reverend Tully of the First Methodist Church. Yes, the same Reverend Tully who is credited with ridding our town of drunkenness, brawls, and crime in the streets. When I first came to Lemont I was among the men profiting from such sinful occupations, as I too gave in to temptations and greed. My poor sainted Máthair, God rest her soul, would grieve that such temptations led me away from her strict Catholic teaching. I have since returned to the better path, and I wish to be known not for past errors, but for more recent endeavors, and to be remembered as the honorable man I have become.

Reverend Tully is unaware of what happened at Saint James and the contents of this letter and I will not tell him. He is an astute man, however, and he knows something is burdening me, and for that reason he suggested I take this course, to write my story and seal it away, in the hopes it will help me gain peace and relief from disturbing dreams. I know it will be safe with him, and he can be trusted to deal with it per my wishes.

You know me as the owner of Cavanaugh Brewery, a fine local business that not only makes grand beverages for local consumption, but distributes them widely to stores and establishments, as men from many states enjoy my brews. Perhaps you are also a patron of Cavanaugh's Saloon and Cavanaugh's Liquor and Cigar Emporium here in Lemont, other fine businesses in which I take pride.

It was Billy Lynch that started the brewery some years before I arrived in Lemont, and at first he met with great success. As the company grew, he discovered he was a fine production man, but a poor businessman. When the company started to decline and arrived at the brink of bankruptcy, I bought into it and built it up again. Eventually I bought my partner out. At first he did not want to sell at the price I offered, but I pointed out certain things and eventually he saw the practicality of the deal. He has moved on now, I do not know where, as I do not hear from him. We did not part great friends.

In the event you are among those who disapprove of alcoholic beverages, then surely you know me as a Village Trustee. You have elected me for a second term to that trusted position, which I hope to hold for many terms to come. Many of my fine ideas have been implemented and have resulted in notable improvements in the village.

Some would say the mayor, police chief, and I personally benefit from our good works, but even if that were true it cannot be denied that the taxes brought in by our encouragement of certain businesses, though they may not be embraced by all, have nonetheless profited the village with such assets as our fine schools. The mayor, police chief and I work well together, as we have been doing for many years, even before my investment in the brewery or election to local office.

I find I am at last in exactly the situation I sought when I came to America in 1897 from County Wexford in Ireland. Arriving in New York City, I left the East a year later for Illinois, like many others, for better opportunities for those of Irish descent. I came to Lemont early in 1898 with grand ambitions, and they have come to fruition as I envisioned. But I started with nothing, and, as I hinted in the opening words of this letter, my journey to becoming a respectable, and reasonably wealthy, businessman was one of difficulty, and actions that led to my prosperous situation are now troubling. I wish at this time to express remorse regarding the outcome, and to make an explanation of those circumstances.