Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Think about it," Cora said, after she told Cisco what she found and explained why she thought the painting could be covering one of the old tunnels-a tunnel that could contain missing records, and maybe even clues to the killings.

"All this time since the killings nothing came to light. Somebody must have known something, even if it was only the killer. Would he go to his grave with that? Wouldn't he have said or written something-that's human nature. So why didn't it turn up? Because he did it years later after people stopped looking for the killer, then he forgot it, misplaced it, or hid it and it was never found. Why couldn't it be in a tunnel? Other stuff's been found there, including the diary, I'd like to remind you." She changed her seat again as she spoke, to a chair facing him, subconsciously positioning herself to give her an advantage in presenting her argument, and peered intently at him for signs he agreed with her.

Cisco raised an eyebrow. He didn't seem convinced. "You figured this out, huh? Why are you so sure an old picture attached to a wall is hiding a tunnel? What if it's just wall back there?" He raised an arm and flicked his wrist at a wall in emphasis.

"I don't know how I know, I just know," she said evasively. "So if it turns out it is just wall, there's no harm done, right? We've just lost some time, we put everything back, and no one will know." She gave him a pleading look.

Cisco said nothing, just looked off into space and drummed his fingers on the arm of the sofa.

"Hon, I have a sixth sense about it." Her words came out in a rush. "I think there's a tunnel public works missed, and something important is in it. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but my intuitions have been right lately." She raised her chin.

"I suppose you think that's Angel's doing? Planting thoughts in your head to help us find the killer?" He shook his head, but couldn't hide a small smile. "If she knew something, wouldn't she just tell you to go there?"

"I don't think she knows either. If there is any information, it has to be either hidden or lost. She knows her diary was lost in a tunnel, because we talked about it, and would remember the tunnels from her day. Whether the idea was Angel's or mine, the historical society seemed a good place to look."

"Okay, okay, I give. You won't talk about anything else until I do. Besides, you can't take down the painting and whatever holds it to the wall by yourself, or move that printing press-my God, how heavy is that thing?" He flashed her a grin. "Besides, it could be fun. When should we do it?"

"Right away." Cora grinned back. "We shouldn't go at night-if anyone sees us going in at night they could call the police. I'm authorized to be there, but it could be awkward."

"Are there tools there?" Cisco asked, ever practical.

"I don't know. We'd better go home and get our own. But we don't want to be seen carrying a whole bunch of stuff in the building," she said, avoiding Cisco's eyes, not wanting him to realize she was nervous. "What do we need?"

"Flashlights. Two-two good ones." He thought it over. "We may have to run to the hardware store. A claw hammer. Maybe a crowbar. Long nails to put the painting back."