Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Early on Thanksgiving Day, Cora, Cisco, and Frannie faced one another around the historical society's library table. In front of each was a box of documents, and four boxes were piled on the floor, which made it difficult to maneuver around the crowded loft.

Frannie, with no plans for the holiday, had been eager to join them. "Sure thing," she replied. "You're not about to leave me out. Frannie the Ghostbuster be there with bells on!"

After Cora told Frannie what they found in the tunnel and why they were in a hurry to examine the boxes, Frannie was excited. "I missed all the fun!" she grumbled. "Why didn't you ask me to go down there?"

About the destruction of Cisco's golf clubs, however, Frannie for the first time showed apprehension and looked around nervously. "Girl, you about to see a black face turn all white! You think Angel would take out after me, if she finds out I'm helping you?"

"Yes, Frannie," Cora said, searching her friend's eyes. "We talked about this from the beginning-the danger, the need for secrecy. You were the one who said Angel was escalating, remember? We've been talking about her doing one awful thing after another-this can't be a surprise."

Cora looked away and her voice shook as she said, "I'm not worried about myself. I'm scared to death something awful will happen to one of you if I don't do everything right." She lifted her head to reveal eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Angel couldn't have picked a worse thing to do than threaten Cisco." Cisco placed a reassuring hand on her arm. Cora forced a tight-lipped smile.

Frannie leaned back in her chair and stared at the tabletop with her lips pressed firmly together. "I guess this spooky stuff's coming too close now. You know you never really believe danger is gonna touch you personally-not me! Well, I guess this is just a moment of truth, what you said about Cisco's clubs. This is real, isn't it? This game Angel's playing, she's got all the powers and we got nothing good to fight back with, only our heads."

"That's about it," Cora nodded. "Would you rather bow out, Frannie? Much as we appreciate your help, Cisco and I can handle it."

"Yeah, well, maybe it's too late for that. What if Angel knows I'm involved already and doesn't like it? What's my protection then? Seems to me, my only chance to get through this business is to stick near you and help solve these murders real quick."

"True, but...I hope that's not the only reason. I mean, I can't tell you how much it's meant to have you believe me and help me." Cora rubbed her forehead. "But if you want to give up...."

Frannie let out her loud laugh. "Give up? Who's talking about giving up? Cut the crap, girl! You just try to keep me away! You think I'm gonna sit back and watch while you have all the fun? No way! I had a moment of second-thought is all, and now third-thought's come and gone, and I'm raring to go. We find this guy, and tell Angel the truth, and she'll stop pestering us, and it's quicker with all of us working at it."

They exchanged glances and grinned.