Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Cisco sat in a comfortable chair reading a golf magazine when Cora arrived at the public library. She knew his relaxed posture didn't reflect his level of dedication to their problems. She had her coping mechanisms, and Cisco had his. He had much more patience than she did, though, and would wait without complaint for long periods-especially if a golf magazine was handy. They moved to a comfortable seating area near a window to talk privately.

"I got a lot done, but first, did you reach Officer Rogers?" Cora asked.

"I reached him, but I don't know how much help he's going to be. The idea of looking into such an old murder case intrigued him, though."

"Will he help? Did he tell you what an investigator might do?"

"To some extent."

"Well-what's he going to do?" Cora tilted her head and raised her eyebrows.

Cisco explained, gesturing elaborately, "Well, he's a beat cop, not a detective, but he knows a little. He thought they'd pull out old files, read over the notes, interviews, see if any evidence is still around. After so much time, new technology could be used on old evidence. Maybe something was overlooked or couldn't be tested in 1898." He took off his glasses, wiped them on his shirt, rubbed his eyes, and then put the glasses back on as he talked. "For example, maybe something had fingerprints but no database to compare them to, so it wouldn't have meant anything. Not that they'd have fingerprints that old either, but you get the idea. Then they'd look at the suspects and see what those people did years later. Were they involved in other crimes, or did something happen later that tied them to the killings?"

Cora eyes widened, excited. "Would he give us a list of people they suspected?"

"Hold on-" Cisco held up a hand, "it's not that easy. If files still exist, which is a big if, and if any evidence is still around, which is even more doubtful, it'd take time."

Cora's face fell. "How much time?"

"Depends on how busy and how interested he is. Turns out the guy's a local history nut, though, and he said around then the Lemont police had a reputation for bribery and graft. You ever think how that could impact this case?"

Cora nodded. "You're right. They might have investigated carelessly or kept poor records. One of them might even have been the killer, or knew the killer and covered it up."

"I thought I'd get further with him trying to capture his interest, otherwise why would he want to help? There's no one left to put behind bars."

She reached out to grab Cisco's arm, giving it a little enthusiastic shake. "We have other things to do now anyway," she said, reaching into her purse for her notebook.

Cisco glanced at the page she opened. "Lists," he said, frowning but with twinkling eyes, "what else?"