Chapter 3

Sans's POV

"Dad, wait!" I called out. I sprinted after the quickly moving blackness. A red bundle of blankets bounced in my arms. Snow flew past me and clouded my vision. I saw a soft, purple light glowing in the direction in which I was sprinting. I didn't know what it was now, but my young self in the dream knew and was chasing it down till no end.

"Dad, please!" I yelled again. Suddenly, the red blankets that were carefully encased around my brother started wiggling and soon crying. I looked down at the blankets and peeked inside. There, Papyrus was sniffling and whimpering into the blankets. I tucked him back in and kept sprinting.

Panic and anger seized me as I started to get tired. I summoned a bone by my side and launched it at the billowing cloud of darkness that was my father. He dodged to the right, but the pause bought me some time to catch up to him. But before I could, there was a bright orange and blue flash, and he and the purple light disappeared. I skidded to a halt where they disappeared, but I couldn't stop in time and fell into the snow on my nonexistent stomach. I laid there, helpless and hopeless. I didn't care if I died here in the snow or not anymore. I started sobbing into the snow beneath me along with the young version of Papyrus in my arms.

I jolted awake, falling to the floor. I clenched my teeth, screwed my eyes closed, and gripped my skull. I was breathing heavily. I started having this same nightmare for 2 days straight, this being the third. I let out a long sigh before lifting my hand from my head and opening my eyes. I noticed that I was still in my secret lab. I grabbed the edge of the counter and pulled myself up, clutching the sleek, black alarm clock on its surface.

10:42 A.M.

I widened my eyes at the sight of the time. Crap. Papyrus must really be worried right now. Without any second thoughts, I teleported into the living room with my blue eye flaring. Once I was in the desired room, arms were wrapped around my sides, and I was plucked off the ground.

"SANS!!" Papyrus cried. If I had eyeballs, they'd be bulging. My arms were glued to my sides. Papyrus was squeezing the life out of me, but he only squeezed harder. "WHERE WERE YOU?!"

I caught sight Cinzel sitting on the couch, trying to hold back laughter. I was pleading to her with my eyes to help me, but that just let loose the giggles she was trying to hold back. I glared at her as Papyrus squeezed me even harder.

"P-paps, I get it. I-I'm fine, bro," I managed to wheeze. He immediately let go, and I dropped to the floor. I swore that Papyrus hugged me so tight that my bones would've shattered. "To answer your question, I was . . . just hanging out in Waterfall for a bit." I didn't want him to know where I was, so I lied. I hate lying to him, but my lab was to be kept a secret. Hence the name "secret lab". Paps believed every word and just let out a sigh of relief. Cinzel, however, caught my hesitation and was looking at me curiously. I guessed that she wasn't one to let things slide by her, just like me.

Cinzel's POV

I stared at Sans. I wasn't sure whether he was lying about being in Waterfall or not. I caught the hesitation, but he looked so casual and laid back like usual. But that smile . . . I didn't know Sans very well, but his smile didn't look very genuine. If he was hiding something, he was very good at it. Practice makes perfect. Does he hide things on a daily basis? Yet again, I'm still not sure if he's hiding behind his smile or not.

"WELL," Papyrus started, swiping beads of sweat off his forehead. "SINCE WE FINALLY FOUND YOU, YOU MUST BE STARVING! I SHALL COOK BREAKFAST SPAGHETTI." With that, Papyrus slid open the checkered sliding door and slipped inside, shutting the door behind him.

Once Papyrus was out of sight, Sans wheezed out another breath and stumbled over to the couch, plopping down in his usual spot. A light bulb went off in Sans' head. I could tell because his face brightened. He then smirked and turned his head toward me very slowly. "Welp, that was quite . . . breath-taking." My face went blank but slowly turned into a smile until I burst into laughter, the upper half of my body collapsing onto my crossed legs. Sans followed soon after, but Papyrus screamed in frustration, causing the both of us to laugh harder. We finally calmed down after a few seconds.

Sans turned to me. "I forgot to ask. How did you sleep last night?" I was about to answer positively until I recalled the same nightmare. The blue light seemed so realistic. Sans noticed my reluctance and asked if I was OK. I smiled but then shook my head as I hung it.

"Wanna talk about it? It helps if you tell someone," Sans said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. Surprisingly, it didn't feel awkward. Instead, the gesture gave me a sense of nostalgia. Then I remembered the last sentence he said.

"How would you know if it helps to tell someone?" I asked curiously. Sans's face fell slightly but regained its former grin like nothing even happened, which I'm starting to question if it really did falter.

"Uh . . . psychology books?" Sans suggested halfheartedly, shrugging. I gave him a look that was clear as day that I didn't believe him for one second. He chuckled and started rubbing the back of his neck. "Fine. I know because it works for me." I felt triumph that I got him to tell me, but at the same time, I felt bad that he gets nightmares. Is this frequent?

"Alright, Dr. Sans, I'll tell you," I said with a wink. He chuckled a little at the nickname I gave him. He tucked his legs up on the couch and sat crossed-legged with his hands in his lap. Looking down the whole time, I recalled the recent nightmares about Dad and the blue light. Once I finished, I looked up and saw Sans gaping at me. After a few seconds, his left eye suddenly grew into a blue flame, and he disappeared into thin air. I jumped back once I saw the blue light. How?! He came back a little bit later with a photo in hand; his left eye was still aflame with the same fierce light. His right pupil disappeared completely. All there was was an empty socket.

"Alright. This is a photo of my dad, Papyrus, me, and someone I don't recognize," Sans explained quickly. I opened my mouth to say something, but he beat me to it. "The reason why I'm showing you this is because your dad sounds exactly like mine." He then shoved the picture into my bony palms. Starting to panic—making my right eye ignite into a purple flame—I lifted the photo to my face. Sans seemed to panic more once my eye started glowing, too. Shaking it off, I focused on the photo. Two little skeleton boys, who were probably Sans and Papyrus, stood on either side of a small skeleton girl. That skeleton girl was me when I was younger. And behind the small skeletons stood . . .

Dad.