Chapter 7

Cinzel's POV

"W-wait a second, Paps, did you say human?" I stuttered and stared up at my younger brother incredulously.

"I INDEED DID, SISTER," Papyrus replies casually. He looks down from filling his steel pot full of water and at my surprised expression. "WHY SO SURPRISED?"

Being with my father, Gaster, I wasn't able to wander anywhere—I was restricted to stay inside the house. Not only did this stop me from getting out of the house, it prevented things from coming in such as news. I've never heard of a human in the Underground before. Gaster could go outside, but even so, he never told me what goes on outside the front door of our cave-like house in Waterfall.

I made my expression wipe clean off my face and replace it with a smile. "Sorry. I don't get out that much," I answered him with a shrug. I didn't want to tell him the full truth. I don't want my sweet, naïve, innocent little brother knowing the dark truth about our father. Seeing him upset earlier was sad enough. How heartbreaking would it be to tell him that his long-lost father is actually a neglecting, abusive excuse of a monster?

How would Sans react?

He is much different from the skeleton standing before me. From what I've learned so far, he doesn't mind lying and apparently gets away with it. He hides. Yet again with that smile. . . . He also doesn't seem like the innocent type. Not like that! Like he's seen and experienced things no one should ever go through. That would explain his nightmares. But the question is: what has he gone through? Hopefully, that question would be answered soon.

"Who should we ask first?" I ask, tapping Papyrus on his basketball-covered shoulder. Papyrus thinks for a moment before somehow grinning even wider.

"I THINK WE SHOULD ASK MISS TORIEL," Papyrus answers. "I HAVE A COOKING LESSON WITH HER, SO IT WOULD BE CONVENIENT TO SPEAK WITH HER TODAY."

I start daydreaming of who might Miss Toriel be. She must be a good cook if Papyrus is getting lessons from her. I hoped she was nice. She would be the third person I meet outside of my house, and I had my fingers crossed that she would be as kind as my brothers.

Papyrus leads me out of my thoughts and out of the house out in the snow. The frigid temperature didn't affect me for obvious reasons, but I could tell that it was below zero. Papyrus plowed through the thick, heavy snow like he was pushing aside feathers. I hopped into his footprints that were heavily left behind in the white powder as to not fall into the white abyss.

We passed a small town named Snowdin. There were few buildings made of weathered logs, and the roofs were covered in a thick coating of snow. As distressed and old the buildings looked on the outside, it was the inside that caught my glowing pupils. Each window the buildings possessed was emanating a bright, warm light that showed many monsters laughing and having a good time. I smile as we passed every one of the windows. I looked ahead to see a tall, full tree decorated with brightly colored ornaments and lights. A glowing star on the top of the tree was the pièce de résistance (Hamilton Reference. #NoRegrets) of the whole tree.

We finally made it past all the buildings and were met with trees on all sides with a snowy path winding between the massive trunks. The wind decided to pick up, and snow whirled around my eye sockets and blinded me. Papyrus strutted along the path with a knowing confidence which I lacked. I had no clue where we were going or even what lies ahead—I could barely see my own feet.

Finally, from what seemed like forever trekking through the snowstorm, I bumped into a large set of purple, wooden doors with a decorative arch around them. I heard a loud banging and looked up to see Papyrus knocking on the heavy doors with a large grin. I gave a smile of my own. I couldn't help it—his smiles are contagious.