Chapter 4

Cinzel's POV

I couldn't believe it. I was staring my brother right in the eye, and he was staring right back at me. I went completely limp. Sans did the same and fell back into the arm of the couch without taking his eyes off me. Both of our eyes were still ignited—his left eye being blue and my right being purple.

"S-so . . . I'm guessing you were the blue light in my nightmare?" I asked shakily, indicating his eye. He touched his eye lightly and chuckled once.

"I suppose . . . and I'm guessing you're the purple light in mine?" Sans pointed at my eye. I gave him a confused look. He sighed. "I basically have been having the same nightmare as you, just in my perspective." I nodded my head slowly in understanding.

While deep in thought, I realized something. I didn't have to be alone since I ran away from Dad. I had family that actually cared about me! Someone that I could confide in. Someone that I could spend time with. Someone that wouldn't think of me as a disappointment every time I walked into the room. Bright, purple tears were running out of my eyes, and I sniffled. I closed my eyes and tried wiping my magical tears away, but they just kept running down my face. I felt fur push into my face and arms wrap around me comfortingly. I couldn't hold it in anymore; I sobbed into what I assumed was Sans's fur-lined hood. He started rubbing my back and whispering reassuring things to me. All the pain and sadness I felt from living with my father spilled out in tears and into my brother's hood.

Thumping was heard by the kitchen door and then it slid open. Papyrus peeked out the corner. "Sans, why do I—" He stopped once he saw me crying with Sans trying to comfort me. Sans didn't move an inch but just lifted up his index finger to tell Papyrus to wait. Papyrus took the hint and slipped back into the kitchen, flashing a sympathetic smile my way.

With one final whimper, I sighed and pulled away, rubbing the last of my tears away. Sans kept a hand by my left cheek and rubbed away one final tear out of the corner of my eye socket with his thumb. I sighed with content, letting my face rest in his hand. Sans then wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me by his side. I closed my eyes and rested my head onto his shoulder. He was just like a big brother. Well, he is. Or is he?

"Hey, Sans, how old are you?" I asked, glancing up at him.

"27."

"I'm 25."

"Heh. You're 2 years older than Papyrus. Guess I'm still the big brother, huh?" He replied, smiling down at me. I smiled back and nodded. That answered my question. As I was soaking in the comfort that Sans naturally radiated, I recalled how easily he seemed to teleport when he went to get the photo. His eye also seemed pretty bright. That usually meant that those skeletons were powerful with their magic. If he was, indeed, very powerful, perhaps he could teach me how to use my magic.

"Sans, how did you teleport that easily?" I inquired. He looked on thoughtfully before smirking and answering me, "Practice."

"Can you teach me?"

"Dad didn't teach you?"

"W-well . . . Every time I ask for help . . . he'd just ignore me," I told him, rubbing my arm. His expression turned to utter shock. He peeked out the window but turned back towards me with creased eyebrows. He closed his eyes and shook his head. He reopened them and replaced the confused glare with that off smile again.

"I guess I can help you," Sans said easily. I brightened up and hugged him again. He chuckled as I kept my hold on him. I smiled at the prospect of finally learning to properly using my magic. Dad turned me down so many times that it felt great to finally be accepted. I couldn't wait to see Sans's magic. I could tell it was blue, but what could he do? How strong is he? How strong is Papyrus? All these questions running through my head plus the nightmare that kept me up most of the night took the toll and made my eyes heavy. My brother's radiating comfort and laziness didn't help. Soon, I was asleep.

Sans's POV

I heard snoring by my side and saw Cinzel snoring softly, cuddling into my side. I smiled—a real smile, something I haven't done in a while—and sank deeper into the couch, careful not to disturb Cinzel's sleeping form.

Papyrus slowly peeked around the corner to see if it was OK to finally come out. I nodded my head. Paps rubbed his oven mitts together nervously. He was wearing a white apron that said Kiss the Chef with a heart replacing the dot in the i and a chef's hat.

"IS SHE OK?" Papyrus asked, staring at sleeping Cinzel. I nodded my head again. He smiled and sat on the other side of her.

"Hey, bro, do you wanna hear something cool?" I inquired. Papyrus nodded and leaned closer to me. I pointed down at Cinzel. "She's our sister." Papyrus's jaw dropped. That could either be really good or really bad. I rubbed my fingers together nervously, waiting for his response. He then starting bouncing up and down on the couch excitedly and was covering his mouth. I chuckled at Paps's reaction. "I'll take that as you're happy?" Papyrus nodded enthusiastically. I didn't think he would be upset; he loves everybody.

"I'M GOING TO GO GRAB OUR CELEBRATORY, BREAKFAST SPAGHETTI!" Papyrus said as he skipped out of the room.

I sighed as I sat back again and stared down at my sister. I started thinking again. If she was living with Dad, does that mean he's still around? I perked up at the thought but sunk back down. Cinzel said that he neglected her. I was wondering if he did anything else to her. I've always wanted to find him and the "mystery person" but now, I'm not so sure if I want to anymore. I glanced out the window warily. Was he hunting down Cinzel right now?