Chapter 5

Cinzel's POV

(For all you people who don't understand Undertale or the fights in it, ATK means attack, DEF means defense, and HP means health.)

"Ya ready to go?" Sans asked, standing by the door. I nodded enthusiastically along with Papyrus and skipped over to him, smiling. Sans chuckled. "Alright then, let's go." With that, he opened the door, and we set off. After eating Papyrus's almost-edible spaghetti, Sans offered to train me; Papyrus also tagged along. I was so happy that I was going to be officially training. I was also curious on how powerful my brothers are.

Sans led us to a large, secluded area behind our house and turned to face me and Papyrus. He cleared his throat and started to speak, "First off, I want to see your stats." I cocked an eyebrow before summoning my battle information in front of me, Papyrus following my lead. Sans did the same. We all scanned the information put out in front of us. I had 9 ATK, 5 DEF, and 450 HP, Papyrus had 680 HP, 8 AT, 2 DF, and Sans had . . . What?! 1 for each stat? He can be killed with one touch! I'm surprised that he lived thus far. Sans caught my expression and smiled even wider. And he doesn't care?! Papyrus didn't seem surprised. I assumed that Papyrus and Sans have trained together before, and he's used to seeing those stats.

"Now, I know this is sudden, but I want us all to fight," Sans directed. My eyes widened in surprise. Papyrus didn't seemed affected by this, either. Sans saw my surprise. "This is just so I can see how you fight."  I nodded in understanding. We all spread out in an even triangle. Sans was on my left and Papyrus on my right. I was absolutely terrified to attack Sans. What if I accidentally kill him? I couldn't live with myself. The guilt would eat me away until I become a pile of dust.

The battle was initiated with my turn being first. I took a deep breath as my right eye was engulfed in a purple flame, and I pointed at my brothers. In response, five bones were sent at each of my brothers. Papyrus got hit by one and whimpered a little while Sans took a big step to the left and watched as they flew right past him. I clenched my fist, and the bones stopped and backtracked. They flew back towards them. Papyrus whirled around in shock right before he got hit by another one. Meanwhile, without even looking, Sans smirked and stepped out of the way again. I gaped at Sans, then turned to Papyrus and asked if he was OK. Sans chuckled while Papyrus nodded with determination shining in his eye sockets. I held my breath as both of Papyrus's eyes glowed orange. Three small bones were sent at my direction; the same attack was also directed at Sans. They were so small, that I just stepped over each one. Sans just stepped to the side, his eyes on his brother the whole time. Now, it was Sans's turn. His left eye started to glow an eerie blue. I don't know why, but once I saw the glow, I felt my bones start to rattle slightly and every sin I've committed—big and small—crawl down my back. Papyrus's bones seemed to rattle as well. Sans snapped his fingers, and all of a sudden, a huge wave of bones with a tiny path in them to escape was sent our way.  The attack was so sudden that I couldn't escape. Then, huge dragon-like skulls fired a bright light beam on all sides of me. I dodged a few of the dragon skulls, but I was down to 1 HP. Papyrus was in the same condition.

"Alright, alright, battle end," Sans stated. I gaped at Sans incredulously. I had 450 HP, how in the world did he get it down to 1 with just one attack?! He only had 1 ATK! Sans filled me in. "Poison and Karmic Retribution. Karmic Retribution is the affect when I take away your invincibility frames, and I'm sure you know how poison works: it affects you after I hit you, and you take damage from it over time." I gawked at him. How is he this powerful, and Papyrus isn't? Sans's stats are deceptive. I never would've thought he could attack with so much force. Staring at him, I realized he could do worse. Sans smiled and continued his lesson, "So, now I know what I'm working with. Let's start on summoning attacks."

Sans was a very good teacher. Papyrus and I have improved in a lot of different ways. Sans taught us how to summon attacks quickly, where to aim the attacks, how to attack based on the enemies, and much more. He'd teach us significant things, like teleporting, to the littlest of things, like lifting an object with our magic. All those ways improved our magic. By the end of the lesson, we were all exhausted.

I felt my eyes get heavy, and a yawn shook my body. Sans's eyes were half-closed, and his smile looked strained. Papyrus's jaw hung low, and his eyes, too, were half-closed. Sans lifted his head groggily and told us, "You guys look exhausted. I'll teleport us home." I tried to object, but a yawn came out instead. With a snap of his fingers, we were all sprawled out on the couch. No one bothered to move, and no one wanted to. With heavy sighs, we all let sleep consume us.