San Francisco | Hangrid

Ingrid looked around in the bar. It seemed quite nice, but still she was feeling uncomfortable. She never wanted to come here in first place. But since all of her friends were going and kept asking her to join, she finally agreed. Thinking of it now, being in the actual place, she couldn't pin-point exactly what it had been that made her say yes. Maybe she'd just gotten too annoyed by them and their questions? Or had she been afraid that her excuses not to come were just not good enough and would make everyone think she was a weird homophobic asshole?

Probably the second one, since she couldn't exactly pin-point why she had such an urge to just stay at home at not coming with her friends to this place, either. Well, she pretended she didn't know. And she pretended because the answer seemed so frightening to her. It didn't sound that bad if you thought about it. It didn't sound bad at all, actually. Ingrid was just really afraid of finding someone she really liked here. And, after all, finding someone you really liked wasn't that unusual, especially not considering she was in a bar on a Saturday evening, so how come she could be so terrified of it?

Well, Ingrid and her friends were currently sitting in a gay bar. In a gay bar, somewhere in San Francisco, for that matter. And Ingrid wasn't afraid of meeting a dude she liked or a straight girl, but much rather of finding a gay girl she actually liked. None of her friends knew, of course, Ingrid wasn't even admitting it to herself. They just assumed she'd had an exhausting day, assumed that was the only possible reason for her too be so stressed out and quiet, assumed Ingrid would have told them if it was anything else, anything important.

So, they all just had two rounds of shots together, before everyone trailed off, having some fun, getting to know knew people and maybe have another drink or two later on, leaving Ingrid alone at the bar. It was not like they didn't care, they cared a lot about her actually. But they not only cared about her, they also knew her pretty well. And they knew she preferred to be left alone after having an exhausting day. Ingrid, whatsoever didn't mind their absence. She rather had them having fun than hanging around with the not fun at all version of herself. She'd just feel guilty.

And so she ended up gulping a few more drinks, maybe a little too many drinks down, feeling a little more relaxed with each. She just sat and drank some more and watched some more, still not quite enjoying herself, but feeling a little better about everything. What she didn't notice though, was the way the blue eyed girl at the other side of the room was looking at her. It wasn't the usual look you'd give someone in a bar. It wasn't the way you look at someone if you check them out. It wasn't the way you look at someone if you think about how to get them to go home with you. If anything, the girl seemed concerned. Concerned for another human being she had never even spoken to.

Eventually, the girl made her way over to Ingrid and sat down next to her. It was only then, Ingrid realized she was even in the same room as her. Not thinking anything about a stranger sitting down next to her though, she just turned around to order another drink. All of a sudden she heard the girl's voice, but she couldn't understand what it said right away. She could barely even figure out the girl was talking to her, but somehow she did. So she turned to the girl again and asked: "Sorry, were you talking to me? If so, I can only apologize, but I didn't understand what you said." Somehow this was causing the other one to chuckle.

"I just said that maybe you should take it a little slow with the drinks, and I think you just proved me right."

Her voice sounded a little raspy but was soft at the same time. Also, you could still hear the smile in it. Something in that combination, Ingrid couldn't quite put her finger on it and it likely might have been just all the things together, made her look at the girl properly, not just giving her a quick glance like before. Her eyes met the bluest ones she'd ever seen and for a moment she thought she was drowning in them. In a good way. In a comforting way. In a really, really confusing way. Luckily, Ingrid got herself together rather fast and managed to mumble something that was supposed to be "Yeah, probably" in response to what the girl had said a few moments ago. It couldn't have come out all that clearly, but the other one (Ingrid was still staring at her, by the way) seemed to be able to understand it anyways.