The Blood on Her Hands

-Will you come to the party? - Hisako asked.

-I work there, I have to be there, remember? - I huffed, tying my hair in two braids as I was getting ready for work.

-Ah right. Silly me. - She slapped her forehead gently with the palm of her hand, already dressed and with make-up on.

I did not say anything to this; I moved on to putting my make-up on, secretly watching what she was doing around the room on the mirror I was standing in front of. It was a fairly large mirror; we could see ourselves entirely in it which was very helpful when we wanted to see how the clothes we put on suited us.

 She was walking around the room, trying to find something. I watched her carefully, noticing how she even moved my things to get to her purse –Ah, here it is.-

-And what is it doing there? - I turned around, putting earrings on.

-I must have placed it here when I was putting my make-up on. - She smiled a little (what a fake smile that was) –Well, I’m out now. See you later.-

I just nodded and watched her leave, sighing in relief that she was not wasting my air anymore, for the moment.

As soon as I finished getting ready, I locked our room and took the subway to the club where I worked at. By the time I got there, the rest of the workers already prepared everything and the party was about to start.

I walked behind the bar and made myself a cocktail, just to relax a bit before everyone comes.

The party started at around 10 pm. It was a relatively big party; it was supposed to be a freshman party for us who studied on the same university but other people also started storming in. Two hours later, I had to watch a bunch of half-drunk or drunk people throwing themselves over the dance floor like idiots and guys hitting on girls and failing miserably at it.

-Ne, ne, Rie.- Ai leaned against the bar requesting another cocktail –Why don’t you join us? It’s really fun.- She grinned.

-I have to work, as you can see.- I handed her the cocktail and eyed drunk Daiki that was standing right next to Ai, staring at me –You could always ease up with the work and join us. Come on, Rieeee. - He reached an arm towards me; I had to move an inch away so he does not touch me.

-As I said, I have to work. - I forced a smile and turned around to sip some beer for some guy who asked for it.

I heard Daiki saying –Ah, you’re no fun. Let’s go, Ai-chan.-

I heard Ai sipping her cocktail (how on earth did I hear that anyways?) and following Daiki to the dance floor. Tonight, most of the songs were dark wave so I managed to enjoy them myself. Yet, I could not let myself join the party itself; otherwise I would get myself fired. However, I did not wish to join the party when it was crowded with people I either did not like or they did not look like people I could possibly like in any way.

The party reached its peak at around 2 am. By then, everyone was drunk and I thought I saw some people making out as if they would start engaging in intercourse any moment now. I wanted to warn them or ask them to leave but figured I was a girl, quite shorter than almost every male here, so going to talk to them would not bear any fruits. Henceforth, I decided to ignore everything and try to relax a bit more. All my muscles felt tense from all the working and I was sure I would wake up with each of them sore the next morning (provided that I catch any sleep).

I drank several cocktails during those few hours and I still did not feel either dizzy, or not even close to being drunk. Usually, it took me one big cocktail to get seriously drunk, but now, I thought as I was sipping the rest of my blue cocktail, even 5 did not get me feeling strange. I frowned softly as I put the glass away and stared at it. Why? No effect on me whatsoever, tonight.