Prologue

My name is Kai. I'm 15 years old and live with my mom on the main island of Hawaii. I'm a big track star and cross country runner at my school. Long black hair, brown eyes and blah blah blah. Mom says I look exactly like dad whom I never met.

Mom is strict and overprotective about me. I have almost no friends because my mom always seemed to disapprove of them along with that fact that I am quiet, not that outgoing. Not only does she disapprove of friends but she also lays down the rule that I can never go on walks alone, I must always go to the gym or run with my mom. Always tell her where I am. Come straight home. Do not talk to any strangers.

But, the one and most important thing about me is that I must never tell anyone my full last name. Mom puts my last name in as Croft for the school so I could be towards the front of line. But I could care less on where I stand.

When I was younger mom signed me up for 2 years of karate and one year of dance. Now that I am in high school she has sent me to a defence class where I get to use weapons and learn how to shoot a gun, what to beware of, how to use your sense more carefully etc. Strangely, the class isn't through five-O, our protection department.

I wonder why mom didn't sign me up through there especially if I have an uncle in that department. She always told me if anything goes wrong, then go to the five-o department and tell them about my uncle. The only thing I know about my uncle is his name is Chin, but again I am not suppose to use that name unless it's an emergency.

I haven't met my dad, haven't seen any pictures of him, hear very little besides things I've eavesdropped on. I heard he is bad and dangerous, that he is a killer, and loves nobody. Are these true? I have no clue. Whatever the case I think it's best if I just stay away, after all mom is all I need I suppose. Well that's been my life for the last 14 years now