Chapter 41

Hey! The other day Serenity Falls reached #61 on Teen Fiction :D That's the highest it's ever got, so thank you so much! And hello to any new readers :) I have a feeling you're going to like this chapter, aha. See you at the end!

-------------------------------

"Mr Hammond, I don’t feel so good..."

Alyssa’s ears pricked up suddenly at the sound of the voice behind her. She turned her head sharply, to look at Aiden, who was sitting at his desk, his face many shades paler than usual. She eyed him nervously, hoping that he would not puke all over her back or something equally disgusting.

Mr Hammond’s gaze flickered to the back row, his eyes focusing on Aiden and studying his face, which had now completely drained of colour. He was used to students feigning illness to sneak out of class – it was a fairly recent occurrence in the school, especially in one of the more boring lessons – but there was something about his weary expression that seemed a lot more genuine than usual.

"Do you need to go to the nurse or–"

Before he could even finish his sentence, Aiden had cupped his hand around his mouth frantically and was dashing out of the room as fast as he could.

"What’s up with him?" Kayla whispered to Alyssa, as the class watched the door click shut again.

"I don’t know – he probably just ate a bad taco or something," Alyssa whispered back, rolling her eyes. "You know what he’s like."

The truth was, she was getting more and more tired of Aiden as each day passed. His desperate flirting and constant lust were nothing compared to the spontaneous steamy sessions in the store closet whenever possible with Mr Hammond. It had been difficult lately, especially focusing all of her efforts on making sure Courtney lost the election, but it was worth it.

Against Mr Hammond, Aiden was just some immature school boy.

Her thoughts were interrupted by another voice from the girl sitting at the desk in front of her. "Mr Hammond, I don’t feel well either." She glanced forward, recognising who it was from the back of her head. Abby Davis. A complete nerd who’s never heard of a manicure. Ew.

"Me neither," piped up another voice to Alyssa’s left. Her brows furrowed slightly in confusion. Why was everyone suddenly puking – and all at the same time? Was it something they ate? But they all couldn’t have eaten exactly the same thing, so that was impossible.

Her mind pondered on the fact as another three students were sent running for the bathrooms, hands clasped to their green tinted faces. Glancing at Mr Hammond, she tried to catch his eye, but he was too busy standing at the front of the class looking slightly confused as to what to do.

"Uh... if you’re gonna throw up... run to the bathroom, I guess..." he was saying, scratching the back of his head nervously as two more students made a dash for the door.

"What is wrong with everyone?" Alyssa hissed at Kayla.

"I don’t feel so good either," Kayla said, as a wave of nausea washed over her. She pressed her hand lightly to her mouth, focusing on a spot on the floor to try and calm herself.

"Oh, stop being so stupid, Kayla," Alyssa snapped. "You’re just copying everyone else."

"Seriously, Alyssa, I think I’m gonna puke," Kayla said, as her whole body tensed. The hand on her mouth clasped tighter and she jumped from her seat quickly, sprinting in the direction of the bathroom.

Minutes passed, and soon there were only around four or five students left in the room, including Alyssa, as well as Mr Hammond standing at the front of the class. The bemused look had not left his face – it was obvious he did not have the slightest clue as to what was going on.