chapter five

One after one, students started entering Alaric's classroom. Rosemary walked into the classroom mere seconds after Stefan. She spotted Elena and the empty seat behind her, which she was quick to take.

   Stefan looked down at the kid who was sat in the seat next to Elena. "You're in my seat," Stefan said. The kid immediately picked up his things and got up. He smiled at Elena and sat down, as if nothing had happened.

   Elena's heartbeat was picking up, Rosemary noted. The redhead decided to mess with Elena and pulled at her hair. The doppelgänger almost jumped out of her seat, which made Rosemary giggle.

   "Rose," Stefan warned and looked at the older vampire. "You're not five years old, and I don't want to explain to Klaus how you killed Elena by giving her a heart attack."

   Rosemary scowled at him, but still obeyed. She knew that if she didn't stop, he would feel the need to call Klaus and Klaus would probably throw Kol's body in the ocean where she could never find him just to punish her.

   "Welcome back, seniors," Alaric said. "Let's turn our brains back on, starting with this country's original founders... Native Americans."

   As if on cue, Rebekah entered the classroom and asked, "What about the vikings?" She sat down in the seat in front of Elena, which made the whole situation ironic. The doppelgänger was officially trapped between four vampires. Everyone, well Tyler, Elena and Caroline to be precise, stared at Rebekah, seeming confused as to why she was in school.

   "There's no evidence that viking explorers actually settled in the United States," Alaric said. Rosemary scoffed quietly. If she remembered correctly, which she did, many vikings settled in the States long before the Europeans even discovered this part of the world. "Who are you?" Alaric asked.

   "My name's Rebekah. I'm new," Rebekah said with a small smile on her face. "And history's my favorite subject."

<><><><><><>

   Rosemary sat down on the bleachers to watch the football and cheerleader teams practice. She looked around and smirked when she saw Rebekah walk towards Caroline and the rest of the cheerleaders.

   "Has anybody seen Dana?" A cheerleader asked.

   Just then, Rebekah reached them and said, "Sounds like you have an opening on the squad."

   "What are you doing?" Caroline asked, but Rebekah ignored her and started stretching instead. "Hey. Hey. You can't just come here and infiltrate all our lives," Caroline said, seeming very upset. Rebekah stood up again and looked at Caroline.

   "I'm only interested in yours. Your spank, your popularity," Rebekah listed off before she looked at Tyler. "Maybe even your boyfriend," she said, obviously enjoying pissing Caroline off.

   Rosemary moved her eyes to the football team, where the coach was shouting rude things like, "It's not the ballet, ladies. Let's move! Let's move!"

   The redhead never got the point of how coaches mocked their players. It didn't help with anything, except maybe making the players hate their coach.

   Rosemary's theory was confirmed when an annoyed looking Tyler stopped and said, "I think we're done here, coach."

   "Did you have a mental breakdown, Lockwood? Get back in line," The coach sassed back. Rosemary giggled, knowing exactly where this was going.

   "I have a better idea," Tyler said. He walked up close to the coach and compelled him, "Shut the hell up so we can go get drunk at the bonfire."