eleven: heart of glass

Chapter Eleven

Heart Of Glass

"Dad said he was going to be here!" William wailed, jumping up and down on the couch quite crazily, "It's past five o'clock!"

I sighed, a smile on my lips, "William, its only two minutes past five. He will be here any second-"

"No! He said he would be here at five o'clock! He's late!"

The doorbell shrilled through the flat and William jumped off the couch like a warrior, dashing to the door in a mad scramble. William pounced at the door handle, tugging it down and opening the door for his father. Tom appeared at the door with his arms wide open before pulling William in for a hug, "There's my little boy!" He cried.

William frowned, trying to act as tough as ever, "You're late! You're late!"

"For a very important date!" Tom exclaimed, lifting him up to spin him around in the air, "No time to say: Hello! Goodbye! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" Tom placed William back on the earthly ground and grinned, "I'm sorry, I just had to quote Disney."

"I think you're forgiven," I laughed, peering to his side and pointing at the bags and whatnot by his feet, "What's all this?"

Tom ruffled William's hair, smiling, "Only the best people go indoor camping, so I thought to myself 'why not'?" He scooped the utilities under his arms and brushed past me before dumping it all in the lounge room. William scurried after Tom almost like a little duckling to its mother. Tom sat down cross-legged and William sat in front of him, copying the exact pose. They went through the supplies, picking out the bottled water and marshmallows and sleeping bags.

I nodded, soaking it all it, "Alrighty then, I'm going to go and make dinner while you two set up the tent-"

"No!" Tom proclaimed, raising his hand almost like he was stopping the traffic, "We got these!" He revealed a packet of sausages and hamburgers from behind his back and William clapped wildly. I rolled my eyes and with a toss of the head, I tied my hair back into a messy ponytail and began to help out.

I kneeled beside William and Tom pulled out the tent from the bag, spilling out poles and the fabric from the opening. William leapt back with a gasp and Tom chuckled to himself, tossing the sheet of paper over his shoulder. William chased after it, "Dad, we're going to have to use the instructions!"

Tom fluttered his hands carelessly, "No, no! Instructions are for cowards!" After watching three minutes of watching the boys attempt to make the tent with no luck, I drifted off with the sausages and hamburgers. I placed them in a pan resting on the stove and heated it up, cooking the meaty delights. I would glance over my shoulder occasionally hoping to see the tent upright and ready. But all I got was poles sticking up all over the place and the fabric dangling aimlessly, "I think we've got to use the instructions..." Tom huffed, loud enough for me to here.

"Oh, Tom!" I exclaimed, making them jump. I flipped over the hamburgers with a grin, "But I thought instructions... were for cowards!"

"Shut up..." Tom chuckled, snaking his hands though his hair. William gasped and Tom snapped his attention to his son, "Don't ever say that to your mother, ok Will?"

William saluted, "Sir, yes sir!"

Tom punched his son's arm with a healthy smile, "Oh! I see somebody is in Loki's Army!" Tom announced, his eyes widening. His voice lowered and his eyes narrowed, his hands slowly making their way to an innocent William, "We shall rule the world and destroy the Avengers... Together!"

"Never!" William screeched, jumping to his feet and backing away, "I will never kneel to you, Loki!"

Tom smirked, "Oh, yes you will!" He argued, clambering up and chasing William down the hallways. I laughed and snatched my phone from beside the salt and pepper, pressing record. I filmed a video of the cat and mouse chase, Tom pretending to be with Loki. Even with his ginger hair and his small stubble, he was doing a marvellous job. William soon wrapped his own arms around my legs and I yelped, Tom appearing at the end of the bench. He got down on both knees with his palms up, his head lowered, "I surrender to this beautiful being, that is, your mother."