twenty seven : like father like son

Chapter Twenty Seven

Like Father Like Son

We had packed our bags the night before we were set to fly away. My worst fear for travelling was rushing the morning I was set to fly out or drive off. Rushing would make me incredibly anxious and worried, and those two emotions were the ones I hated. Tom sat on William's suitcase, trying to pressure it down into successfully zipping it fully up. I stood in the doorway while William wore a cheeky grin, "I think you may have packed a little too much..." I announced, raising an eyebrow.

Yet, in an instant, Tom jumped up into the air in an act of victory, "I did it! Yes!" He cried as he danced around the room, muttering small 'do-do-do's'- a little dance of his own. I laughed, shaking my head as William joined him, jumping about and causing his curls to bounce. They soon settled down and flopped back onto the bed, "Finally done packing."

"And it took us so long to do so," I chuckled, flicking my wrist to see the time. It was seven o'clock, and we were set to meet with Laura and Drew at half past. I clasped my hands together, "Well! Shall we head on over to Laura and Drew's house to see Phoebe?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" William cried, leaping up and down into the air. We all laughed and I grabbed my blazer from behind the door while slipping my feet into some ballet flats. I ran a comb through my hair while Tom called at me to hurry up with a cheeky grin on his face. I rolled my eyes childishly and hopped over to the front door. William swung the door open and dashed towards the car, flailing his arms around before stopping at the back door. I hurried over and helped myself into the passenger seat and waited for everybody else to buckle in.

The car got rolling to a start and after many lefts and rights and twists and turns, we pulled up at Laura's house. William was first to the house, and Tom opened the car door. I bobbed my head with a small thank you and we linked our hands before gliding our way over to the front door. William knocked loudly and Laura answered the door with a grin, "Hello Hiddleston's!" She called loudly before hugging each one of us.

Nothing of Laura had really changed. Her clothes were the consistent ones I had seen before, her hair was always pulled up into that half ponytail with small plaits that Pheobe would always do... But something was very different. She had a little baby bump, that was clearly visible through her thin t-shirt. I couldn't help but marvel at the sight and William poked it softly, "Are you having a baby?"

"Yes I am!" She chuckled softly, her shoulders slightly shaking.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" William asked curiously.

Laura shrugged, "It's too early to tell, we have to wait a few more weeks. But as soon as I find out, you will be the first person I tell... Okay Will?"

William nodded, "Okay. Will the baby come out of your belly-button?"

Laura tugged her teeth between her lower lip, trying not to laugh, "Uhm, yes darling. How about you go and find Pheobe? She should be playing with her lego in her room."

William blinked before smiling, "Okay!" He cried, hurrying off, "Pheobe! It's my turn to be the dragon this time!"

Laura's shoulders shook back and forth as she met my eyes with the widest smile she could manage, "Kids," she said, shrugging before stepping towards me and wrapping her arms around me tightly, "Avery... It's been too long."

"It has," I responded, pulling away, "And look at you, your little slice of happiness is already blossoming..." I whispered, nodding towards her stomach.

Laura almost looked as though she could cry, "It's amazing. Well, apart from the constant back pain and the sweats and other assorted things... It's truly amazing."