seventeen: calls at two a.m.

Chapter Seventeen

Calls At Two A.M.

"Thanks again, Tom..." I said, my hands gripping on the door, almost about to close it. I already offered for him to stay the night, but Tom had other plans. Which was fine, he was a celebrity and I was just a normal person. I peered down at William, who had his hands wrapped around a large plush monkey, "Will, say thank-you to dad."

"Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you, Dadda!" William cried at the top of his lungs, throwing his arms around Tom once more.

Tom smirked, "It was nothing, really. I just wanted to spend time with my boy..." He bent down and ran his fingers through his sons hair. William giggled innocently and Tom returned to his tall figure. He smiled faintly, "I'll call you tomorrow."

"I can't wait," I whispered before closing the door in his face. I exhaled loudly and stared down at William. Turns out I wasn't the only one with my back against the door and wandering off into deep thought, "Hey." I said quickly, making him look up at me, "Are you hungry?"

"Dad and I already had dinner..." William yawned before sliding his back cowards against the door and sitting on the carpet. His eyes fluttered to a close and he kept his new monkey friend against his chest.

"Somebody is ready for bed..." I whispered, my hand wrapping around his and beginning our walk towards his bedroom. William slumped behind me tirelessly and with his eyes shut. He was absolutely knackered. I brought him up into my arms and placed him on the bed with placidness. William muffled a thank you and I brought the blankets up to his neck, tucking him into bed. I brought myself to sing his lullaby as I caressed my hand up and down his arm, just like Tom would do to me.

I turned off the lights and closed the door, leaving it open ajar. I rubbed my eyes and made my way towards my own bedroom. I shut the door behind me and slid the blinds across. The lanterns above my bed flickered off after I flicked the switch, giving away the dimmest of light, leaving my room almost completely dark.

I brought the covers over my cold body as I retreated into the quilts and sunk into the mattress. My eyelids closed over and I couldn't help but drift in and out of sleep. My fingers made their way across the other side of the bed, grabbing pillows and placing them in a body like figure. I cuddled up beside it and the warmth from them rebounded like some sort of radioactivity.

It was like Tom was there.

But he wasn't.

And that made me cry silently to sleep.

Through out the night, I got a phone call, and my annoying ringtone practically shrilled through the bedroom. I rubbed my eyes and felt my hand around the bedside table for my phone. I slid my thumb across the 'answer' panel and brought it up to my ear, "Hello?" I said groggily.

"Avery?" Tom's voice asked, unsure.

"Tom..." I breathed, a smile on my face. I flopped into my back and ran my fingers through my hair, "It's so good to hear your voice again."

Tom chuckled softly to himself, "You have no idea. I couldn't stop thinking about you."

I squinted and peered at my blinds, sunlight not even threatening to flood through. I cleared my throat of sleep talk and spoke again, "Tom? What time is it?"

"It's two in the morning," Tom's gravelly voice echoed, "I had a night out with the boys but it wasn't the same without you. I just wanted to talk because I miss you."

I tried not to laugh, "We haven't seen each other for what? Five hours? And you claim that you miss me?"

I could feel Tom smile on the other line, "It's what love does to men..."