one- new contact

Tobie Evans barely made it on time.

Normally, she was never late. Always an hour early. But she had heard the news about Jamie Hemmings' mom, and that prevented her from sleeping, which with her was common enough.

But this time it was rough. She cried half the night, then tried to relax. Nothing worked until exhaustion knocked on the door at six a.m, which was why she didn't get up at seven.

She made it, fortunately.

Just as she slapped down her bag on the table, the first kid hopped through the door.

Jamie's best friend.

"Hiya, Tobie!"

Tobie turned around, her "work smile" already on her face. "Hey, Jackson! How are you?"

Jackson Wheeler was one of the most ADHD-ridden kids Tobie had ever met. He was always bouncing around, tapping his fingers, and she could tell his brain went a million miles an hour all times of the day. She knew he took medicine for it, but in her opinion, he needed to up the dose.

But maybe she just didn't know enough about ADHD.

"Tobie?" Called a voice. Tobie knew that it was Jackson's mom, Sara. Literally the kindest person Tobie had come across.

She walked in the door, the two-week old baby Kody in her baby sling. She had Jackson's bag in her hand and looked like she'd heard the news about Jamie's mom, too, as her eyes were lined with red and her hair not as straight as normal.

"Hey, Ms. Wheeler." Tobie smiled, reaching out to pat Kody on the head. She was always very nervous around little babies like that, being that she was no more clumsier than a drunk giraffe, and she never went to pick one up unless it was handed to her, and even then she was tentative and sat down.

"Hey. Did you hear about Jordyn?"

Tobie nodded. "I can't believe it. I saw her on Friday with Jamie."

"Don't remind me." Sara said, forcing a smile. "But cancer, it gets the best of us, huh?"

"Sure does. Want me to take that?" Tobie asked, pointing to the bag. Anything for a distraction.

"Oh, yeah, thanks dear."

"Of course." She said, hanging the bag on the cubby rack. "The normal time today?"

"Yeah, but if we're late it's because we're at Kody's checkup."

"So soon?" Tobie asked, confused. When her triplet cousins Autumn, May and Summer were born, her aunt didn't have to take them in at two-weeks.

"Well, with Jackson being born with the ADHD, they just want to make sure nothing like that happens with Kody."

"Makes sense. And wasn't he a pre-me?"

Sara nodded. "Jackie too. Guess it's genetic."

Obviously she meant it as a joke, but nobody laughed.

"Well, I'll get going." Ms. Wheeler said. "Bye, Jackie!"

"Wait!" Jackson yelled. He ran up, hugged his mom around the legs, and squeezed Kody's foot. "Be good for Momma, Kody."