nine- hopsital

"We haven't done this in a while," Tracy said as Tobie pulled into daycare. It had been a month since Michael said Tracy and him were gonna be parents, and she had the slightest little bump. She finally came back to Tobie, but it wasn't the nicest reunion. 

She'd been crying, with all of her bags and a ripped up plane ticket. Apparently, when she told her dad she was pregnant, he kicked her out, which was the exact same thing her mom had done and the reason they were both in Tobie's state in the first place. But her uncle had been going home, and he bought Tracy's plane ticket and everything- but Tobie guessed he wasn't taking a pregnant girl home. Tobie felt extremely guilty for ever saying she didn't want a pregnant woman in her house- this was Tracy, her baby cousin. When Tracy needed help, Tobie had to be there for her. 

And be there she was.

"Yeah, it's been a bit." Tobie said, shutting the car off. Luke wasn't there yet, but Sara Wheeler and her two boys were, and Tobie was extremely excited. Today was the day she was going to start watching Kody, and it was huge. She still couldn't believe she signed up for this, but she was ready. She'd known the Wheelers for such a long time and she would always be there to help Sara, especially since Jackson's dad had left, just like Jamie. 

"You ready?" Tracy asked. 

Tobie smiled. "Yeah. I've got this."

The two girls got out of Tobie's car and headed to unlock the door, holding it open for Sara and the baby. Jackson hugged Tracy's leg and held Tobie's hand as they went inside, and Sara smiled, holding Kody out to Tobie.

"It's a big day, sweetheart," Tobie whispered to Kody, kissing his forehead. "Big, big day."

Sara looked down at Jackson, smoothing her son's hair down on his forehead. "Remember your first day, Jackie?" 

Jackson nodded. "It was Jamie's first day, too! But we were a little bigger than Kody." 

"Not much, though," Tobie said, smiling. "You and Jamie were only about two or three."

"Really?" Jackson said. "Then I don't remember." 

Tracy laughed, bending down to tickle Jackson's sides. "I was here for their first day." 

Tobie nodded. "And I was broke." 

Sara laughed. "You're not doing too bad now, though, are you? You've got Tracy here, new renovations, and that boyfriend of yours-"

Tracy snorted and Tobie's face went bright red, "Ms. Wheeler, Luke's not my boyfriend."

Sara raised her eyebrows, "That's not what Jackie said." 

"Jackson?" Tobie asked, looking at the little boy. "Why do you think Luke's my boyfriend?"

"Because Jamie said so!" Jackson said. "She says you sleep in the same bed and Lukey kisses you and-"

"Woah, woah, woah!" Tobie said, trying not to look at Sara. "Jamie said this?"

"Yeah!" Jackson giggled. Tracy was hunched over laughing, and Sara was covering her mouth, but the same giggles that came from Jackson were coming from her, too. 

The problem was Jamie wasn't lying. 

"Okay, okay, enough about my love life." Tobie said. "Tracy's is much more exciting." 

Sara shook her head. "You two girls." 

Tracy smiled as Sara handed her the baby bag. "We're definitely special, that's for sure." 

Sara nodded, giving Jackson and Kody a kiss on the head. "Have a good day, ladies. Jackie, Kody, behave please."

Jackson smiled, and Tobie laughed. "They'll be fine, they're always angels." 

Sara smiled, matching Jackson. "Bye."

When she left, Tobie tickled the baby and headed over to her desk. She was supposed to have Jackson and Kody, which she checked off. She also was supposed to have Emeline (boo), Tony, and Jamie. What was weird was how late Jamie was. Normally she was the first one there in the morning. 

She told herself not to worry, that one of the boys was on the way. Or maybe they just wanted to take Jamie somewhere for the day. Did Pip and Kip have a vet appointment? 

Before she had more time to think about it, there was a slam at the door and in walked Emeline, throwing her coat on the ground. "I'm here!" 

Tracy stifled a groan and picked up her coat while Tobie walked over to the window, watching as Emeline's mom Victoria pulled out of the driveway with her BMW. It had started to rain, and Tobie sighed, watching the clouds get darker and darker. 

Kody started to cry, so Tobie walked around the room, calming down herself and the baby. Sara hadn't said he'd eaten so she took out a bottle, sitting down with the two month old. Jackson, Emeline and Tracy were getting out Chutes and Ladders, and Tobie watched them play as she fed Kody. 

Around an hour later, Tony showed up, apologizing for being late. Tobie smiled, but was still worried about Jamie and the boys. Where the hell were they?

Kody had gone down for a nap, and Tobie set up another game for the kids, but Jackson sat down on the couch by Tobie. He seemed bummed out, and Tobie figured it was because Jamie wasn't here, so she pulled him onto her lap and rubbed his back, knowing this was just as hard for him as it was for her. 

"Maybe she's not coming," he said, scaring Tobie a little. He'd been so quiet for the last hour that she thought he was asleep. "Maybe she's just not gonna be here today."

"Maybe, bud. Maybe." She said. Tracy was on her phone, and Emeline and Tony had gone to the nap room around a half hour ago. The moment Kody cried was the moment Tobie's phone rang, so she grabbed her phone and headed into the nursery. 

"Hello?" She asked, having not checked the caller I.D.

"Hey, Tobie! It's Jamie!"

Surprised, Tobie pulled her phone away from her ear. The caller I.D was Luke's. "Jamie, honey, where's Lukey?"

"In the hopsital." She said, pronouncing it wrong.

"You mean hospital?" She asked, anxiety growing with every word. 

"Yeah, that thing." Jamie said. "With Cal and Ashy." 

"Can I talk to one of them please?" Tobie asked, her breath quick. 

"Sure- Calum!" Jamie yelled. 

After some shuffling behind the scenes with some incoherent mumbling, Calum's voice came through the phone. "Tobie?"

"Why are you in a hospital?" Tobie asked, trying to shush Kody. The baby was screaming, and Tobie was growing more and more worried. 

"Luke and Michael got in an accident this morning- we've been here since ten."