eighteen- happy birthday, the two of you

Tobie didn't tell anyone it was her birthday. 

It was just December 18th to them. Another day Jamie was in the hospital, another day until a meek Christmas. Nobody had to know it was Tobie's birthday. The only one that knew was her cousin. 

And Tracy wasn't feeling very good. 

"I'm sorry you have to run the pregnant woman around on your birthday, Tobie." Tracy said. Tobie smiled sadly. 

"It's alright. It's not a big deal, anyway. Birthdays are just a reminder that you're one step closer to inevitable doom."

"Tobie," Tracy laughed, swatting her arm. Tobie smiled. "Don't say that."

"It's the truth!" Tobie giggled, pulling into the driveway. "It doesn't mean I'm twenty two, it means I'm that much closer to death."

Tracy rolled her eyes. "You're so much like Uncle Bill, it's frightening." 

"Well, not to brag, but he's my dad."

Tracy laughed and they got out of the car. Tobie helped Tracy up to the door, and got her upstairs to the bathroom before going back downstairs and letting Pip and Kip out of their cages. When she had clipped the two very big dogs to their leashes, Tobie walked outside.

Pip was much more rambunctious than her brother, so Tobie mostly had a problem with her while walking. Kip was generally very chill, just walking to Tobie's side. Pip enjoyed pulling Tobie down the street and back.

After a relatively easy walk, Tobie let the dogs go and walked upstairs to Tracy, who had drawn the shower curtain. "You good?"Tobie yelled.

"Yes! I'll call you when I fall down!" 

Tobie laughed, rolling her eyes. "Okay, Trace. I'm gonna get the boys their things."

"Drop Michael's stuff from yesterday in the garbage disposal, please. He smelled so bad."

"Someone did come in the E.R for pot overdose, Tracy. Michael was by the door."

When Tracy replied in a huff, Tobie went about and did what she was told. Grab Calum a hoodie, Ashton needed a new razor, Michael...well. Michael needed clothes that didn't smell like marijuana, and Luke didn't ask for anything, but Tobie knew what he needed. A blanket, his notebook, and new socks. Tobie packed everything and set the old stuff through the wash. She folded the things in the dryer, and set the clean stuff in each of the boy's respective rooms. 

She was all ready to go when Tracy yelled, "OH BOY."

Tobie dropped the backpack and ran upstairs, finding her cousin half dressed on the edge of the tub. "Trace?"

"Tobie. Grab the baby bag." 

"What? Why?"

"Tobie. Just listen to me. It's under the bed in my room."

Tobie, eyes wide, nodded. "Fuck."

She ran down the hallway, grabbing the bag, and after slinging it over her shoulder, she helped Tracy into a hoodie and her jeans. After holding her hand down the stairs, Tracy and Tobie made it to the car. Tobie had the baby bag on one shoulder and the boys' bag on the other. Tracy called Michael once she was in the car, and just when Tracy said, "Mikey", Michael started screaming through the phone. 

"Michael Gordon if you don't calm the fuck down, I will go to another hospital." 

Tobie stifled a giggle, but Tracy punched her arm. "You, too, Evans."

Tobie drove to the hospital, all of the boys on speaker phone. Mama Liz told the receptionist to have a stretcher ready by the time Tobie got there, and when she did, medics met her at the emergency door entrance, and they whisked Tracy away, Michael following down the hallway, but Tracy told him to change into scrubs before he went anywhere near her. "You smell like a pothead," was what was heard down the hallway. The nurse looked at Michael sympathetically and gave him a set of scrubs.