Chapter 2 My Boss

"Here we are," Robbie said as he rubbed Flannery's shoulder.

Flannery sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She looked out of the window of the truck and took in the sight of her new home.

"Welcome to the ranch!" said Robbie enthusiastically. He bounded out of the car and grabbed her suitcase from the back seat. Flannery followed him down the pathway.

The ranch was fairly large. There were three homes, from what she could tell, and a huge barn, that no doubt held the animals, and a fenced circle that seemed to be the training area. Who would have ever thought that she would be working on a ranch? Flannery thought to herself. There were so many moments within the past twenty-four hours that she second guessed her decision, but then she realized Alice was right; she needed to start over. A baby was going to change her entire life and she needed to prioritize.

"And this home will be yours" Robbie said gesturing to the house the path had led them to. Flannery looked at the home Robbie had brought her too and immediately tears sprung to her eyes. It was beautiful. It was a light gray home with white and red trim and a wrap around porch. Was this really going to be her home? Was she going to waddle around this place cooking for ranch hands?

"Are you okay?" Robbie asked noticing her tear filled eyes. He knew something was wrong with the woman, but he didn't know what. This was the second time she had almost cried since he picked her up from the airport. He didn't know what to do, should he give her a hug?

"Robbie, what are you doing?" Flannery asked as the ranch hand started to wrap his arms around her.

"I'm giving you a hug, don't women like hugs?" he asked in confusion. Flannery felt her heart warm at the sweet gesture and gave in to the hug.

"So," Flannery began as she started up the steps to the front door, "who else lives here?"

"Just you" Robbie said opening the door.

"Just me? Where does everyone else live?" Flannery asked with furrowed brows.

"The house right next door. That's where all the ranch hands sleep. Boss sleeps there too. Same with his old man. See, the bosses mother died when he was ten and he hasn't slept in this house since. After he heard you were comin', you bein' a woman and all, he had us clean this place out and refurnish it."

Flannery walked through the living area and kitchen and was astounded. It was decorated in a southern vintage theme. The more she saw, the more at ease she was with her decision to move out there.

"You all did a wonderful job," she complimented. Robbie threw his chest out and smiled widely.

"Why thank you, miss." Robbie walked her through the entire house, all the while informing her of the schedule the ranch hands kept during the week. She was very relieved to find that the entire kitchen was stocked and ready for immediate use. Flannery was going to be cooking for eight ranch hands, including the boss and his father. 

"Well, thank you, Robbie," Flannery said, as she walked him to the door. Robbie nodded his head and gave her an enthusiastic smile.

"See ya in the mornin'!" 

Flannery closed the door and leaned against it, sighing. She smiled and rubbed her stomach. This was good, she told herself.

She walked into the living room, opened one of the tables and pulled out a pad of paper and a pen. She made her way into the kitchen and began to plan the meals for the week. She was so excited and was surprised at how excited she was! A few weeks ago she thought that she was going to be going back to school and getting her degree; now she was sitting in a kitchen in Texas planning meals for a bunch of men she hadn't even met yet!