Chapter 25 Time is of the Essence

Coult had his horse packed and saddled before the sun was up.

He hadn't slept a wink the entire night. Every time he closed his eyes images of Flannery with another man floated through his mind. He had held the satellite phone in his hand all through the night, debating with himself whether he should call or not.

Coult wanted to be reassured. He wanted to hear her laugh and comforting words that he was all she would ever want or need. He wanted to hear that because that's how he felt about her. He couldn't imagine loving, or even being interested, in another woman after her. Flannery had ruined him for other women. While he wanted to be reassured, he didn't want her to think that he didn't trust her.

Coult looked around the camp and decided to let the men sleep a little longer.

He looked down at the phone and realized at that very moment, he needed to hear her voice. He was a half a days ride away from her, but he couldn't wait a second longer.

Coult's finger pushed the power button and he waited. His left leg bounced in the dirt impatiently. He scrolled through the few contacts he had installed until he reached the ranch house number. He breathed deeply. Butterflies swarmed his gut.

Suddenly, the phone began to ring.

Coult jolted, not expecting anyone to call the satellite phone. The number wasn't registered in his phone, but he answered anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hello?! Oh my God! Praise the Lord! You answered!" came a female voice.

"Who is this?" Coult asked, getting frustrated. He was supposed to be talking to Flannery by now.

"This is Mrs. Sheridan! I work with Emma," came the high pitched voice again.

"Well, Mrs. Sheridan I don't mean to be rude-"

"Emma's missing. I've been trying to reach you all night. I'm calling from Emma's phone. She accidentally left it at the store."

Coult could hear the confusion and tears in the woman's voice.

"Have you called the sheriff?" he asked nervously shifting his weight between his feet.

"Yes but it hasn't been twenty-four hours yet. The last time I saw her she was headed out to the ranch to pick up Flannery. She had volunteered to help with the event we had yesterday, but she never came back. I drove out there late last night and her car wasn't there."

Coult felt fear trickle down his back. Things like this didn't happen where they lived. Ever.

"Did you go up the house?" he asked frantically, his mind moving to Flannery and the possible danger she could be in.

"No it was so late I didn't want to disturb anyone. I mean, what if Emma is perfectly alright? I don't know what to do!" The woman began hysterically crying and Coult wasn't sure how to comfort the woman.

"Mrs. Sheridan, I need you to go to the ranch. I need you to check on Flannery. I'm going to be home in-"

The phone began to beep and before Coult could tell the woman he would be home that afternoon, the phone died.

"Goddammit!" he yelled, smashing the phone to the floor. His temper was dangerously close to the edge. He couldn't handle the feeling of helplessness if Flannery was in danger.

His hands moved through his hair and he attempted to calm himself and think logically.

He moved quickly back to camp to wake up the men.

~~~

 Flannery sat at the table in the kitchen sipping the cup of tea in front of her. She was tired. Too tired.

She hadn't slept a wink last night.

Her hand came across her stomach and she smiled absently. There was so much on her mind. She had been thinking about the baby, Coult, the other baby, Nolan's kiss...

Flannery closed her eyes as they filled with tears. All she wanted was to be a good mother. She had failed her other child and had prayed that they were somewhere better.

She couldn't control the past or what Beau did, but she could control the now.

She stood and walked out of the kitchen, out the door, and down the steps. She knew where to begin. She had to start somewhere.

Nolan.

~~~

"Danny. Danny, wake up. DANNY!" Coult yelled into his ear.

"Fuck sticks," Danny murmured, lifting the arm covering his face to scowl at Coult.

"We have a big problem."

It only took Coult  minute or two to brief Danny about Emma. It took Danny a shorter amount of time to lose his temper.

"Why didn't you wake me sooner! Get the fuck up! Everybody! Time is of the essence!" Danny yelled, running to his horse.

Within twenty minutes, everyone was atop their horse and ready to head to the ranch.

~~~