Chapter 31 Twenty Questions

Coult strode into the ranch house and headed toward the stairs. He lifted his foot, ready to run up to Flannery and demand some answers, but stopped. He quickly turned and walked out of the house. He stood on the porch, hands on his hips with his eyes closed. He breathed in and out.

She was pregnant. Flannery was pregnant. Pregnant with his baby. Their baby.

Coult was...ecstatic. He was overjoyed and coudln't believe the pride and elation he felt at the news. He had never expected to be a father. But, when he met Flannery, his whole world changed.

He spun on his heel and walked towards the stairs again.

And again, he stopped.

He turned once again and headed back to the porch. He felt so conflicted! A part of him wanted to go upstairs and demand to know why she didn't tell him! And why she hadn't spoken a word to him since he showed up!

Doubt crept into Coult's mind. Was it something he did? Something he said? 

Coult walked between the stairs and porch for then next twenty minutes, debating how to talk to Flannery when the phone rang. He cursed at the interruption and answered the phone with a growl.

"What?!" 

"You better settle down boy."

"Dad? What's going on?" Coult asked.

"Just calling to see how you are doing. I need something to distract me from the fact that I can't get the fuck outta this bed," Frank said grumpily. Coult heard a female voice reprimand his father for his language.

"I'm actually a little busy-"

"I also called Jeff. He is talking to Nolan right now."

Coult went silent. Jeff was the lawyer that his father had used for the past twenty years. He expected his father to have a reaction to Nolan's behavior, he just wasn't sure what kind of reaction. Frank continued.

"The court date has already been set for two weeks. Jeff thinks he can get Nolan off with a plea for psychological damage from childhood and that he will get a big slap on the wrist along with probation."

Coult listened as his father sighed and then chuckled.

"You know, Coult, I never expected to see my boy again. He called me from jail. He apologized and then...cried. I..know that I made a lot of mistakes but...I love you. I hope you know that," Frank finished. Coult heard his father take a few deep breaths.

"I love you too, dad," Coult responded.

"Now, have you spoken to Flannery yet?" he demanded.

"I'm about to-" Coult began.

"Do it now. Look, I like the girl, Coult. And I think she's good for you. But you have to remember that she has been through hell the past few months. I know you don't want me to tell you what to do, but I just want you to be...just don't let her go, Coult. I know what it feels like to lose something. Alright?"

Before Coult could answer, Frank hung up. He stood there for a few minutes. During those few minutes, he knew how he was going to talk to Flannery.

He turned towards the stairs and made his way up to the guest room she was staying in on account of the broken door. He reached the wooden door and knocked three times.

No answer.

He knocked again.

No answer.

He pressed his ear to the door and heard shuffling and sniffling.