Chapter Twenty | So, Do You Come Here Often?

Nights in the city were something that couldn't be described. The wonder and magic could only be felt while in the midst of the bright glare of street lights and billboards. The ocean glittered nearby and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore could be faintly heard over the bustle of the seemingly never-sleeping city.

I would miss it here.

Nick held my hand and smiled down at me, oblivious to the conflicting emotions battering around in my chest. In spite of how long I had been alive, this had been the best week of my entire life. I was fortunate enough that I had gotten to meet an incredible boy and fall in love, and have so many experiences that I wouldn't have had during a normal week on land. I forced myself to hold back tears as we walked toward the club.

I could hear the bass thumping before we turned the corner. The neon sign illuminated everything and cast pink and blue-hued light on my skin. As we approached, I shimmied my black form-fitting dress down a little and flipped my curled hair over my shoulder, winking at the bouncer. He let us in immediately, grinning stupidly at me.

As soon as we stepped inside, memories of the first night here came rushing back. I found the spot over by the bar where we had our first meeting of the week. I slid my gaze further down the dark wooden slab and saw the two seats where Nick and I had first met. The stench of alcohol, sweat, and perfume washed over me and I felt a rush of adrenaline.

To hell with it. It was my last night here. I was going to have some fun.

"Come on!" I shouted at Nick over the thumping of the bass. "Let's go dance!"

He shook his head and held his hands out in front of himself in protest. "Oh no, I don't dance."

I grinned mischievously. "With me you do!"

I grabbed Nick's arm and pulled him onto the dance floor, causing him to laugh in surprise. We squeezed our way through the crowd and ended up somewhere in the middle of the throng. I moved my hips to the beat, throwing my arms up in the air and letting the music wash over me. After a few minutes that felt like hours, I opened my eyes to see Nick staring at me in wonder. He opened his mouth, and I prepared myself for a cheesy comment about how beautiful I looked or something.

"So, do you come here often?"

I laughed, throwing my head back. Nick grinned back at me.

"Why, yes, I do," I replied, still smiling in amusement.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"Of course," I said, looping my arm through his.

We somehow managed to maneuver our way off the dance floor and into two chairs at the bar. Nick ordered himself a beer and requested a Malibu Sunset for me since he knew I liked fruity drinks.

I took a sip and let the flavor wash over my tongue. I felt Nick's hand reach over and rub my shoulders affectionately. Leaning over, I gave him a lingering kiss on the cheek and his dimples popped up again as he grinned.

"Marina!"

I turned to look over my shoulder at the person who had called my name and spotted Rachel sauntering up with two of the younger mermaids of our group. They were all dressed in tight-fitting halter tops with short, flowery skirts and black stilettos. Rachel was the center of attention, of course, flipping her hair and pouting her lips. Something seemed a little off about her, though.

"Rachel, are you wearing... makeup?" I asked, peering closely at her face. Sure enough, there seemed to be an extra shimmer to her face, winged eyeliner, and a coat of red matte lipstick applied to her lips.