Chapter Seventeen -- Charlotte

If you can't trust your family, who can you trust?
-- Charlotte

I love it here. The atmosphere of shopping just does something to me. When I spot something new -- something that's my style -- it's like all of the problems in my life instantly fades away. My heart beat increases, my lips twitch into a smile, my hands start inching, and it's not for no paper. I have to have it, and most likely I will.

"Come on, Gena. It's only five hundred dollars, and I only bought three hundred with me," I held up the gorgous Micheal Kors bag in my hands so my sister could get a better look at it, "How could you say no to a bag like this at a price like that?"

She shrugged, "Simple, no."

She began walking to the front of the store to the register, and I was right behind her. "I'm going to pay you back, girl. Don't I always?"

My big sister shot me the evil eye. "Hell no. You still haven't paid me back for the Louboutins I helped you buy just last week" -- she shook her head -- "See, that's why I'ma have to stop shoppin' with yo' ass. Damn, ain't you a model? Don't you got a man? Where yo' money?"

Bria, my best friend started to laugh, "Damn, she just checked you, Char."

I shot her a glare. "I got a "X" in my box, so she didn't check me, bitch."

"Where yo' money?! Where yo' man?!" Bria carried on with laughter, pointing her finger with every question as my sister did.

I slightly pushed Bria ass out of the way and got right back on my sister's back. She was at the white, square lit register purchasing a wallet and a small clutch she liked. As the sales man was bagging her possessions,and my sister was digging in her Prada purse for her black card, I eased my bag into the counter.

"Ring that up too," I mouthed to him.

His face showed a sign of confussion before he let go of a shrug and did as I wanted.

After typing the price into the laptop in front of him, he cleared his throat, "That's going to be six hundred and eighty three dollars, Ms. Ainsworth."

Gena's head shot up. "Six hundred and eighty three dollars?! B-b-but you just said it was..." And like a villan in a scarey move, Gena's head slowly turned to the three hundred dollar bills I had held in front of my face.

She snatched them away before shoving them into her purse and handing over her best friend to the salesman.

"I want my m--"

"Thanks for being so kind, big sis," I cut her off, hugging her from the side with one arm, "You're the best sister ever."

The salesman flashed a smile as he handed Gena her bags. "Aww," he cooed.

She forced a smile, "Yeah,that's what sisters are for," her voice cracked.

"You guys are adorable!" He exclaimed. "Perfect example of what every sister relationship should be."

"I know," Gena faked with a smile, "Anyone would be delighted to have a sister as great as mine."

I pinched her cheek, "Aww, I feel the exact same way, sissy."

I saw Bria from the corner of my eye shaking her head at us in shame.

"Beautiful," he spoke from behind the counter in awe, "just beautiful. You all just gave me life! Have a good day, ladies."

"You too!" We threw over our shoulders as we left.

"Bitch, you better have my money," my loving, delighted to have me as a sister told me as soon as we stepped outside of the store.

"Damn, you a pimp? I said I'ma pay you back," I told her as she shoved the bag into my arms.

She stopped in the middle of the mall, and threw her hands on her hip the same way Momma used to do when she knew a bitch was lying.

"When, Charlotte, 'cause I could've sworn you said the same thing last time."

Ugh, this bitch.

I picked at my nails before tossing my hair over my shoulder. "When I get paid from my shoot with King Magazine you're going to be the first one I pay, okay? Now can we move on? You know I don't like talking about money."

Bria stepped into my view. "Hol' up, wait! You got a shoot with who?!"

I flashed a smile. "King Magazine."

She slapped my shoulder with back of her hand as I began to walk further into the mall. "Bitch, and you didn't tell me! You fake as hell for that, Char."

"I just got the news a couple of days ago," I told her honestly, "I've been in to it so much with Quadir these days, it must've slipped my mind." I poked out my bottom lip, grabbing my friend's arm. "I'm sorry, boo."

She playfully snatched her arm away, "Yeah, yeah don't give me that," she smiled, "I'm proud of you, girl."

"What do you mean you've been in to it with Quadir?" My sister butted in with a frown on her carmel face, and when her eyes began to roam my arms for any marks I knew exactly what was going through her head. "Did he hit you?"

"Doesn't he always," I mumbled, getting that uncombtable feeling in the pit of my stomach I always get when this particular conversation comes up.

Gena shook her head as if she lost the little respect she had left for me, "I can't believe you, Charlotte. Just because you hit back doesn't make it OK. A man should never hit a woman, espically HIS woman. If Momma knew about this--"

"I know," I cut her off, "I know, alright? Can we please talk about something else?"

"I'm sorry, but she's right, Char," Bria spoke up as soon as I started feeling like Kelly Rowland from Destiny Child's music video Girl. "We both know Quadir ain't shit, and you're too good for him, girl" -- she did a head nod at a black man standing a few feet away in the food court -- "Now what you and I need is a man like that. Tall, sophisticated, handsome, and successful."

Gena smacked her teeth, "How do you know if he's successful? 'Cause he's standing in P.F. Chang's line instead of McDonalds?"

Bria rolled her eyes, "No, dummy, because he's the CEO of

Further Jamz, that's Zamir James."

"Stop lying, that's not him," I denied, my eyes never leaving the gorgous man with the dark Armani suit a few feet away.

I watched him as he told who ever was behind the counter his order, watched him as he paid with cash before standing back and patiently waiting, checking his gold watch every other second like he had some important place to be.

I watched him as his lips curled into a perfect smile as he grabbed his food, watched him as he turned around to leave, and watched him as he almost dropped his food when I caught his eye.

"Oh, my God... It really is him!" I shrieked as I turned my back to the man.

"I told yoooou," Bria sung with a smile.

"What the hell is he doing eating in a food court?" Gena scolded.

"Who cares?" Bria shrugged, "'Dat nigga is fine as hell. He can eat in my food court any day."

"Bria!" I slapped the back of her arm.

"Charlotte, I think he's looking at you," Gena mumbled.

"Ooh, he's coming this way!"

Before I knew it, Bria grabbed my shoulders and turned me around so fast my head spinned, and sure enough Zamir was heading our way.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Please don't let me make a fool out of myself," I panicked in a mumble as my heart began to beat out of my chest.

From the corner of my eye I noticed my sister suck her stomach in, and from the other corner I saw Bria putting on her best smile. I wanted to laugh, but suddenly feeling butterflies flutter in my stomach, I kept it in.

I couldn't help but notice how handsome he is as Zamir now stood only a arm reach in front of me. Those posters, flyers, and TV did him no justice. This man is a black god.

"How you ladies doing today?" He spoke, his voice flowing like a deep, peaceful melody. Correct me if I'm tripping, but I thought niggas with handsome features always have big ears -- tell me why is his ears perfect?

"Fine."

"We're good." My sister and friend spoke. I didn't say a word, it seem like I lost my voice, and that NEV-ER happens to me.

His dark brown pupils looked down at me, and I felt like I wanted to faint. No lie. "What about you, beautiful? You doing okay?"

S"She's good," Bria spoke up after my moments of opened mouth silence flew by. She bumped my arm with her elbow, shooting me a hard, what-the-fuck-are-you-on glare.

"Okay," he stared at me with a smile wanting to play on his lips. Then, like they appeared from a magic trick, three party tickets were in his hand. "I'm hosting a listening party for Jay Forthy, the new member of Further Jamz," he said as he passed out the tickets, "I'm Zamir--"

"Oh, we know who you are," Bria said a little too flirtatiously while flipping her extra long dookie braids over her shoulder.

Zamir smirked, "Well, I hope to see the three of you there." To my surprise he flicked the bottom of my chin with his index finger, "Espically you, beautiful."

He showed his white teeth in a grin before walking off like he was the owner of the mall.

"Can somebody please get this bitch some water?" Gena said loud enough for passers-by to hear once Zamir was out of sight. She shook her head, "The thirst is real."

Bria waved her hand, "Girl, whateva wasn't nobody being thirsty. It's obvious that he wants Charlotte."

"Exactly! You would've been wasting your time even if he didn't want her."

Bria hand flew to her hip."What'chu tryna say?"

Gena smirked, flipping her long locks that we inherited from our mother over her shoulder. "'Cause he would've been on me instead," she bragged.

Bria let out a small, high pitched laugh, "Bitch, stop dreaming."

As they began to bicker my mind traveled back to the tall, sexy producer. I haven't freezed up like that in front of a guy since high school. It was like he was a long time crush that I never could get, and that only piped my intrest in him more. There's no way in hell I'm missing that party.

______________________________

A / N :

Hi, guys.. Hope you liked this chapter. I know it's been forever since I uploaded so I tried to make it long for ya'll. I'm back in school, so I've been busy. My goal is to upload AHB next.

Dont forget to vote and comment!

Have a good day :)

(I know I will, today is my birthday!! :P)