A Day Out

Considering the intensity of the argument raging on inside the mansion, you were rather impressed with how calm you were feeling. You were walking faster than you ever had in your life but you were still feeling relatively unthreatened. The gates that stood proud in front of the mansion were thankfully open. Shutting you inside wasn't something that you'd put past Mabel if she got angry enough and she was pretty furious.

All you had said was that you wanted to go out and see a bit more of the town. It wasn't that part that was bothering Mabel. She had actually thought it was a pretty good idea, even giving you recommendations on where to go. It was Dipper ordering Will to go with you that had set her off.

He had said that Will was going to make sure that you stayed away from 'dangerous' things but you got the feeling that there was more to it than that.

Mabel had immediately protested, saying that she needed Will for something but Dipper hadn't backed down. He insisted that you leave and Mabel had told you to stay. Turns out you were more fearful of Dipper and you left while they continued to argue.

Will had followed you out but you only realized once you were half way across the large driveway. He clearly agreed that Dipper was who you should be listening to.

Mabel was probably fuming but what was the worst she could do? A shiver ran down your spine at the mere thought, as if you knew subconsciously that you shouldn't underestimate her. You tried not to entertain that concept for long.

When you were younger, you had seen Mabel do some pretty scary stuff but never before had you thought about it in association with actual danger. Now though...

"Where are we going?" Will's shaky voice broke you away from those thoughts. You felt pretty grateful for that.

You thought about it before shrugging. "I have no idea. I just wanted to get out and explore Gravity Falls a bit. I've hardly seen any of it since I've arrived besides what I spotted while driving in that limo and the windows are tinted. Any ideas?"

"There's a rather high class restaurant if you want something to eat," Will suggested. "It's close and you won't get charged. The woman who runs it knows the Gleefuls well, even if they don't particularly like her. If you mention your name, she should be more than happy to seat you right away as well. You wouldn't have to wait."

You slowed your pace once you had stepped through the large gates, less inspired to walk at anything faster than a stroll. There wasn't much Mabel could do to you now. "I'm not really in the mood for something like that," you admitted. "It takes a lot of effort out of me to go to high class restaurants. Is there anything less... classy?" It wasn't the best word but it would do.

Will looked a tad uncomfortable but he nodded. "There's a smaller restaurant but I don't think Mabel and Dipper would be too happy if you went to it. It's not really... fitting for their family."

"The horror," you said sarcastically. "I couldn't possibly do something as terrible as ruining their reputation by going to a certain restaurant." You sighed. "Why don't we go to the Mystery Shack? It's a tourist trap, right?"

"No!" Will said quickly. He actually startled you by speaking louder than usual. "I mean, it is a tourist trap but you shouldn't go there. It's pretty shabby and they're not very welcoming to anybody or anything related to the Gleefuls."

"Why not?" you asked, your curiosity sparking once more. It was another thing to add to your 'Mysteries of Gravity Falls' list. The list was getting longer and stranger by the minute. Everything was so secretive.

"It's complicated," Will replied firmly, making it clear that that was the only answer you were getting from him.

You sighed. "I suppose we could head to the mall," you said. It wasn't like you were going to find anything unusual or entertaining there but it sounded as if it were the only option. "I could probably buy some real sugar as apparently Mabel's allergic to the stuff."

Will looked conflicted, as if your tone was upsetting him. He wasn't anything like you expected a demon to be. It was another of the items on your mystery list. You had witnessed small displays of his abilities around the mansion but nothing else that pointed to him being a powerful demon.

A bright splash of color amongst the shrubbery caught your eye, making you stop dead in your tracks. "What the...?" you trailed off, shocking Will who had apparently kept walking until you spoke. He turned his attention to the area you were staring at.

The bushes rustled a little more and a girl stepped out of them. She looked to be the same age as Mabel, with her blonde hair sticking up at odd angles and filled with branches and leaves. It appeared to have been tied up at one point but it no longer was. Her clothing was clearly homemade and her eyes were filled with an innocence that you hadn't seen in a long time.

"Oh, hello," she greeted, a warm smile on her face. She straightened her shirt a bit. "I'm Pacifica Southeast. Sorry if I scared you or whatever. I promise I wasn't spying. I was just looking for my bracelet by retracing my footsteps."

She said the last part so proudly that you couldn't help but return her large grin. It was a lovely change of pace being around somebody who didn't look like they were planning on killing you. "I'm (y/n) (l/n)," you replied. "Maybe I could help you search?" It was more appealing than going to the mall.

"I thought we were going to go to the mall," Will spoke up and your casual glance at him left you worried and confused. He looked genuinely scared. More so than usual.

"Are you okay?" you asked quietly. "You look a bit upset."

"I'm fine," Will said quickly, looking around rapidly. "I just don't think we should change our plans. The forest is pretty dangerous and I'm not meant to let anything happen to you."

Pacifica laughed and made a face. "That's a rumor. The forest isn't as bad as people make it seem. I'm always running around it and I've yet to be eaten or sacrificed." She paused. "I have been kidnapped by gnomes though. They needed a queen but that was years ago!"

You laughed at what you hoped was a joke. "Sounds like an accomplishment." There was something about this girl that made you feel happy for some reason.

"It definitely is around here!" Pacifica giggled. "You should hear my cousin go on about it. He's so paranoid about this kind of stuff. I think what's going to happen will happen and there's no point worrying because of it."

"Sounds like the best way to look at life," you agreed. "I wish more people thought like that. Anyway, where was the last place you saw the bracelet?"

"I had it on while by the waterfall but the gnomes might have moved it," she explained. "Some of them really like sparkly things and they live right next to the falls. Although, admittedly it could have been the merfolk."

"Merfolk?" you asked blankly.

Pacifica launched into a story about how she had met a merman in the pool while she was younger and he had been her first kiss. At first, you were skeptical but as she explained more and more, it sounded almost believable. His name was Gabe... apparently.

Will glanced around nervously. The two of you weren't far enough from the mansion that you couldn't be seen and if either of the Gleefuls glanced out of the window...