Chapter 17: Helpless

The world was a lot less... wasteland-like than you were expecting. Everything looked normal. As normal as it ever did when you were in Gravity Falls.

Birds sang from their perches in the huge trees that lined the road. People were walking around and chatting, nobody even glancing towards the group of people that had just appeared in the middle of the street. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see those insufferable gnomes sneaking around behind the restaurant. Nothing was amiss.

"You know," Mabel finally said. "I was really thinking we were going into another Weirdmageddon type thing. This just looks like our town. Mostly."

"It could be a trick," Dipper said, his eyes darted around like he expected something to jump out at any moment. "Bill may just be wanting us to feel comfortable before he attacks us."

"Or maybe he got bored and left," Mabel offered.

"C'mon now!" Bill complained in your head. "Cut a guy some slack. I can hardly be in your head and out there at the same time. I'm not an all-powerful demon you know! Wait..."

Ford holstered his weapon and turned to look at the mansion on the hill. "You said that your cousins live up there?"

"Yes," you answered but Bill stopped you from saying anything else.

Will spoke up so suddenly and from so close that it startled you. Although your body didn't move an inch. "It's odd," he said. "We're here and the ties of my deal have reappeared but it's almost as though, they're weakened."

You stiffened. "How's that possible?" Bill spat. He was quick to try and change the harsh tone but it was a little late. "I mean... you said they couldn't be broken."

"I know," Will muttered, his gaze turning away from yours and his voice returning to a small whisper. "I don't understand it either."

Your heart ached. You had worked so hard at getting him to trust you and Bill was going to ruin it. The dream demon in your head scoffed at you. The longer he spent in your thoughts, the greater your anger became.

"Something's definitely wrong," Ford muttered. "And to find out what, we're going to need to go up to that house."

"It's a trap," Stan said immediately. "You know it is."

"But do we actually have a choice here?" Ford asked. "We could look around the town for a while but I can tell you right now we won't find anything. We'll take as many precautions as possible but it's not going to be possible to avoid it."

As you started walking up towards the house, the four Pines started talking about plans. They were being smart about this. Wanting to avoid confrontation and danger. And the entire time, Bill was humming in your mind and laughing at how it wasn't going to work.

And you couldn't tell them.

You were interrupted in sending mental waves of hate when Will moved to walk alongside you. "Are you okay?" he asked in a hushed tone. The others were too absorbed to notice anything. "You're a little –"

"Why does it matter?" Bill interrupted snappishly. "Maybe I've just gotten tired of all of this. Maybe I want to go home and never come back to this town. And maybe I'm angry with you for getting me into all this mess!"

Will turned away from you immediately, but you didn't miss the flash of hurt in his eyes. "I didn't –"

"Do anything? No. And that's exactly the problem! If you had done something... if you had acted like a proper demon, then Bill wouldn't have chosen this dimension to ruin!" Bill snarled and the gleeful triumph that coursed through you nearly made you ill.