Chapter 13: This Is Not Meant To Happen

You had taken to chewing your nails.

You couldn't pinpoint the exact moment the habit had developed but you were guessing it had occurred sometime while you were being thrown across dimensions. It seemed like a reasonable assumption to make given recent events.

So you were chewing on your nails while trying to think of the best way to bring up the topic.

"Do they hurt?" you asked softly. At first you were going to be subtle but you couldn't really think of a way to do so.

Will looked up when you spoke. His eyes were glossed over and blood-shot. "Do what hurt?" he asked blankly.

"The injuries," you clarified, gesturing to the bruises on Will's arms and the scattered cuts.

"No," he said. "They're healing a lot faster than normal and most of them are from a rough landing when I arrived here. I barely feel them anymore unless I think about it. Why?"

"I'm worried about you," you admitted.

Will glanced around the interior of the Mystery Shack nervously. "I'm not meant to be here," he said. "I was told to never go near this place. Dipper was worried that Gideon might be able to figure out a way to break the bonds that hold me to the Gleefuls. He wouldn't be pleased if he knew I wasn't listening to his rule."

"Well, technically, you're in another dimension so you could classify it as a loophole," you said. "I mean; this dimension's version of Gideon probably doesn't care all too much about that."

"Being in another dimension doesn't change the context of our deal," Will muttered. "The deal spans all of time and space which includes alternate realities. There are methods of breaking it but I don't know them well enough to risk them."

"What if Dipper dies?" you asked, the words coming out your mouth before you could stop them. "Hypothetically speaking of course."

"It would pass onto Mabel," Will responded.

"And if she was gone also?"

Will thought about it before shrugging. "I suppose in that case, the deal would be rendered useless and cancel itself out. Not that it will ever happen like that. I've been told to make sure that nothing ever happens to them."

"How are you going to do that from here?" you asked. "Clearly somebody didn't think their plan through."

"I'm not meant to be here in the first place," Will muttered. His expression turned to one of fear. "I was just supposed to stay where I was. When I get back, I doubt they'll be very happy."

"Maybe Bill will take them out," you suggested. Guilt crawled into your stomach at the words. "I mean, yeah, they're my cousins and I know that it wouldn't be a nice thing to go through but after all they've done, I'm not sure if my conscious cares that much anymore."

"You care," Will said softly. "Not as much as you used to but it's still there."

He was right, unfortunately, and you lapsed into silence. It was awkward and you weren't sure why Dipper and Mabel thought you were the right person to try and get Will to talk a bit more about what was happening back in your dimension.

Mabel had gone out shopping and Dipper was busying himself with trying to figure out what had to be done to get you back.

Will sighed and his hand moved to his lower arm, rubbing it slightly. "I don't want to go back," he admitted, so quietly you nearly didn't hear him.

You didn't know the rules about interdimensional travel but you were sure that there must be some. "Do you have to go back?" you asked. "I mean, can't you find another dimension where you'll be hidden?"

Will shook his head. "I'm not powerful enough to do that."

"Bill told me that all dream demons have the same powers," you said. "Some of them just don't use their abilities to their full potential. If he could do it, surely that means you would be able to also. It only makes sense."

Will's shoulders slumped. "I've never been powerful."

"Or maybe you've never tried to be," you suggested. "Have you ever had the chance to do something like that?"

"Yes," he whispered. "And I couldn't do it." He really was rubbing his arm, the movement drawing your eyes. It looked like the same spot...

Gently, you took his wrist and pulled back the sleeve. Will flinched but made no move to pull away. He turned his attention guiltily to the floor when you revealed the jagged and bloodied cut that no longer had a bandage around it. It looked like it had been starting to knit closed on its own but part of it was recently reopened.

"I thought you said this would be fine," you said.

Will gave a small nod. "It is. I know it looks bad but it's completely fine. Now that I'm here, it'll be healed even quicker."

You tilted his chin and forced him to look you in the eye. "Will, please don't lie to me," you said. "Is this going to heal on its own or not. I'm not going to let you walk around here with an open wound that could become infected."

"It may already be," Will admitted quietly.

You sighed and shook your head. "Okay, we're not waiting around any longer. We're going to the hospital and seeing if they can stich it up properly."

"Why?" Will asked.

"Because it's obviously painful and if it gets worse – "

"No," Will cut you off. He flinched afterwards. "Sorry but that's not what I was asking. Why do you care whether or not it's okay?"

"I don't like the idea of you being in pain," you explained with a small shrug. "I suppose dealing with my cousins might have given you a warped impression of people but most of the time, we're not completely sadistic. Especially not around people we care for."

"Care for?" Will asked. "You care for me?"

You shrugged. "Of course. You've really never given me a reason to not."

There was a short moment of silence where you stared at Will, waiting for his response. And then you were kissing him.

You had no idea who had initiated it but it really didn't matter. All that mattered was Will was kissing you. He had certainly never kissed anybody before, you could pick up that from how easily he allowed you to control the kiss.

Breaking the kiss, you moved away a little and opened your eyes. Your first thought was to apologize but then you saw Will's expression.

"Is something wrong?" you asked.

"Your eye," Will nearly whispered.

A cold feeling erupted in your stomach and you practically launched off the couch and over to the mirror that hung in the hall. Nausea washed over you as you stared at your bright yellow, slit-pupiled eye.

You stumbled away from the mirror and crashed backwards into the wall. "No," you muttered. "No!"

ffffffffffG\=dh