Chapter 6: Say What?

Walking into the Mystery Shack gave you a rather strange realization of how... unique the place truly was. You could tell the building was old, even if it did appear to have gone through the occasional maintenance throughout its life. There was a strange smell in certain areas and the strangest odds and ends cluttered the shelves.

The first thing Pacifica had done was give you a hug and show you the spots that you should avoid. The first thing Gideon had done was glare at you suspiciously over the top of a red book before disappearing upstairs.

"I don't think he likes me all too much," you noted.

Pacifica practically launched herself onto the large sofa and started digging around through the cushions for something. "Just ignore him," she advised. "He's always been too paranoid for his own good. Especially when it comes to the Gleefuls. Uh... No offence or anything."

"None taken," you reassured her. "It's nice to know that not every person in this town in utterly besotted with my cousins. Honestly, it's starting to get annoying how loyal everybody is to them."

Pacifica yanked the TV remote out of the couch triumphantly and gave you a sympathetic nod. "I'm sure it would get annoying to hear that from every person who's under that demon's spell. I get annoyed just talking to my friends about it so I tend to avoid the topic."

At her words, your mind sort of froze for a second. "I'm sorry?" you questioned.

"Well, I mean, it's easier than trying to convince them that they're being brainwashed," Pacifica explained. "They're completely fine in all other respects."

"No, what were you saying about a demon?" you asked.

Pacifica's expression turned nervous and she tapped the remote nervously. "You don't know?" she asked. "Dipper and Mabel Gleeful have complete control over a dream demon called Will Cipher. He's loyal to them. It's driving Gideon mental trying to figure out why because lifelong servitude doesn't seem like something a demon would make a deal for. I'm sure that you were with him in his human form when I first met you. Normally he's a triangle but he can make a disguise so you would think that he's a normal person."

Your eyebrows furrowed. The images of Will that you had in your mind were certainly not ones of a triangle. "How does that relate to the worship everybody gives Dipper and Mabel?"

Eyes flashing with a mixture of nerves and excitement, Pacifica leaned closer to you. "I'm only telling you this because I know you're not under the spell and I hope you're trustworthy but Gideon and I saw Will put a spell on the entire town. Dipper ordered him to make sure that no matter what the Gleefuls do, they'll be loved in Gravity Falls. They practically rule the town now."

"Why weren't you affected?" you asked, keeping your voice hushed even though you weren't sure why.

"Gideon had set up these barriers around us and the shack to make sure no demon will be able to perform mind games with us." She grinned proudly at you. "I helped by gathering the ingredients that he couldn't get."

"The entire shack is protected?" you asked, looking around at the walls. It didn't appear secure at the moment.

Pacifica nodded and suddenly raised her voice to normal volume, startling you. "Yep!" she said. "Gideon did have help with that one because it was a bit trickier. They also Mabel-proofed the shack while they were at it."

"Mabel-proof?" you questioned. "Seems a bit strange. Why not make it completely Gleeful-proof?"

Pacifica shrugged, her expression falling a little. "Dipper Gleeful would never come here, it's below him." Was it just you or did she sound slightly disappointed about that. "Mabel has a crush on Gideon though so she used to try get in here all the time. It's almost freakily obsessive and as a qualified matchmaker, I can tell you that they will never be good together!"

"Qualified matchmaker?" you asked with a small smirk. You really needed to move away from the topic of your cousins. "How good are you at this?"

"Perfect," Pacifica said with a grin. "I can find anybody a date."

"Even me?" you asked.

Pacifica's eyes sparkled like you had just given her the best present in the world. "Are you asking me to match you up with the perfect date?" she squealed. "Seriously?"

"Uh... sure," you agreed nervously, a little concerned about the reaction she had just had.

The TV flicked off and Pacifica turned to you with a serious expression. "Before I properly start, I need you to understand that while I may seem a little out of the box with my methods, I'm very good at this. You have to promise you won't question me if I tell you something."

"I'll try my hardest," you promised, trying not to laugh at how strange the blonde looked with a serious expression.

"Good," Pacifica said, her smile returning. "Because if I'm going to tell you who I think you'll be a great match for, you can't question me."

"That I'm not promising," you warned her. "And I'm starting to get suspicious here."

Pacifica gave you a mysterious grin before digging around under the couch and pulling up a thick, glitter-covered, book. "This is a visual record of every person in Gravity Falls who would be eligible for dating," she told you. "They're arranged by age, name, and all kinds of other factors. I have pictures also. If they're crushing on or dating somebody, they get a red dot until they are no longer interested at which point, I take the dot off."

"That is... extremely stalker-like," you commented as she flipped through the pages. "You have one for Gideon?"

"I do," she said with a dramatic sigh. "Unfortunately, I'll never be putting a red sticker there if he keeps avoiding people. I have one for Dipper and Mabel as well. I don't ever want to give them a red dot, I'd feel sorry for the other person. I have a page also and I might make one for you."

You were going to ask if she had a red dot on her page when she stopped turning and shoved the book towards you. "Here we go."

"Uh... Pacifica, that's Will," you pointed out.

She laughed and nodded. "I know. I bet you weren't expecting me to choose somebody you already have a crush on."

"Hold up a second," you said, turning your gaze away from the picture of Will and onto her. "I do not have a crush on Will Cipher. Maybe I find him attractive... slightly... but you just told me he's controlling the entire town! It kind of puts a damper on my 'attraction'."

Pacifica pouted, as though the thought had just occurred to her. "But the two of you looked so cute the other day. I've been shipping it ever since."

You shook your head, refusing to let yourself follow that line of thought. "For some reason, I don't think it's going to happen. You know, he is kind of a demon that's under the complete control of the cousin who does not like me."

"That could be a small problem," Pacifica admitted.