Chapter 8: Confrontation

It wasn't like you were an oblivious person. You could easily put two and two together. It didn't take long for you to come to the conclusion that Bill was the alternate version of Will. The names were admittedly one of your major clues. The two even spoke similarly. While Will was admittedly softer, they used similar mannerisms.

You hadn't brought it up to either of them just yet. It didn't seem like it would be beneficial to any of the involved parties. Especially given that Will knew nothing of Bill's presence in your dimension. According to Bill, it was because Gravity Fall's natural force field limited the range of his powers.

Bill knew a lot about the town. Apparently it was pretty similar in his dimension with a few minor differences. Such as the Tent of Telepathy being much smaller and not taking up an entire lot. He had also mentioned that the Gleeful Twins didn't run it but he hadn't gone into a lot of detail.

Mabel was growing suspicious of your constant trips away from the manner and she had sent people to spy on the Mystery Shack to make sure you weren't visiting Pacifica. You were starting to think that your cousin was a little less sane than she appeared.

It was nearing evening on a Monday while both twins were out doing a special show that you hadn't been invited to. You didn't mind but you had acted dreadfully heartbroken when Mabel had told you. You really needed to stay on her good side. The gem that glowed on her headband remained a constant reminder of what she could do.

You shoved the huge glass door open and stepped out of the mansion. You had your torch in case it got dark quicker than you anticipated and a small knife from the kitchen. Just in case.

"It's cold outside," Will commented from behind you. It still caused you to jump when he did that. "Are you sure that you want to go for a walk in the forest at this hour? If you get sick, there isn't any medicine in the mansion."

You turned to face him with a casual grin. "Don't worry about it. I brought my own flu stuff. I probably won't get sick anyway. It's not like I'm going swimming although if I walk near those mermen again, I may not have a choice." It was meant to be a joke but Will didn't look amused.

"Try to avoid the creatures in the forest," he asked. It didn't sound like an order. If anything, it sounded more like a desperate plea. "They're quite dangerous if you're by yourself and I would never be forgiven if you get hurt."

You gave a small nod despite your disbelief that the Gleefuls would truly care if you got injured. Mabel would probably find it more humorous than anything else. "Sure. I'll keep my guard up." Although it was pointless. Once you crossed the border, there tended to be very little – if any – wildlife at all. Let alone something that could harm you.

Will still looked unsure but he wasn't going to try and stop you again. Instead he held out a dark blue scarf to you. "Take this with you. Dipper won't care but Mabel might if you end up getting ill."

"Won't they care more if I take their stuff without asking?" you asked. A scarf sounded like a great idea at the moment but you knew how possessive Mabel was of her things. She didn't know the meaning of sharing.

"It's not hers," Will admitted softly. You almost didn't hear him. "It's mine but I don't often wear it and I thought you might like to."

You took it from him gingerly. "Seriously? Thanks." And now you were feeling kind of guilty for not telling him exactly where you were going. You wrapped the scarf around your neck and tried to ignore that feeling. You couldn't explain to him that you were going to meet another demon who happened to be his dimension double...

The guilt stayed with you though. Even as you waved a temporary goodbye to Will and started walking through the forest. You flicked on your flashlight the moment you hit the tree line for a mild feeling of security. A lot of the creatures that emerged during the evening weren't fond of light and tended to avoid it. On the way to the spot where you had first met Bill, you didn't see a single hostile creature. In fact, you didn't see much wildlife at all.