|| heartless || Oz Vessalius ||

Request ✔

AU: Where Oz doesn't get dragged down into the Abyss and instead finds himself slowly succumbing to a strange darkness inside of him he never knew of. Okay, just roll with it. There's not much to work with if I keep it with the original source material. I tried, okay :,).

-

"I'm going to keep this sweet and simple," you enunciate the words, lacing each syllable with as much venom as you can without sounding needlessly cruel, "we may be married but I will never love you, Oz Vessalius."

"I understand," Oz says, chuckling sheepishly, "but I will love you."

"We'll see."                 

-

A loveless marriage, the women of your family seemed to always find themselves trapped in one. At least, that was what your wet nurse had lamented as she finished fussing with your hair. You did look lovely, you looked like the perfect bride.

Didn't they tell us don't rush into things?

It was an honor to be marrying him. The heir to one of the Four Noble Houses, you were told he was smitten by you during his coming-of-age ceremony and had demanded to be wed to you as soon as possible.

Didn't you flash your green eyes at me?

You should be happy with this turn of events, pleased, giddy, and ecstatic to be marrying into such a prestigious family.       

Be happy, _____.

Walking down the aisle, you couldn't help but feel like you were gliding through the valley of shadow and death. He was smiling at you. Under different circumstances people would have classified his smile as charming. To you, it only looked like Death grinning a Cheshire Cat smile at you.

Didn't you calm my fears with a Cheshire Cat smile?

Your parents grip your arms tightly, as if they're attempting to keep you from running away. It's a sentiment that they are right to have, you tried running away at the rehearsal and it did not go very well. You feel like a human slave being handed off to the highest bidder. The years had done Oz very well, he agreed to wait 5 years for this moment and he never let you forget the fact that you and he were to be wed. As evidenced by the fact that you had a whole room full of the lavish gifts he would shower on you.

You had 5 years of absolute torture having to look forward to this wedding.

You had 5 years to spend with your one true love before you were to wed this monster.

You spare the briefest flicker of glances at him, sitting at the back. He grants you a small defeated smile. The two of you had acknowledged the fact that it would be practically impossible for the two of you to ever achieve a happy ending. Foolishly, you hoped for it only to find it crashing down from the brunt of reality.

But there were strangers watching.

You turn away, the other nobles would gossip about it later.

And whispers turned to talking.

Let them, you think viciously. So that they know how little you cared for the spoiled Vessalius heir.

And talking turned to screams.

Oz extends his hand to you, no doubt wanting you to take it. You ignore it and roll your eyes at the bishop.

"Just get this over with."

-

If you'd never been there. If you'd never smiled at him. If you'd never spoken to him. If you'd never danced with him. If you'd never indulged him.

Would you still be forced into this wedding with him?

You thought you were just being polite. But he was just so starved for any hint of love and affection, he always had that fake little smile. You just told him that it was okay for him to let loose sometimes and that he would find someone to love him eventually.

You did not say that you would love him.

You did not tell him anything of that sort.

But he fell in love with you.

Damn him.

You grit your teeth as his fingers intertwine with yours. He grips you lightly, he holds you like you're fragile, like he's afraid he might hurt you. But you think it's all because he knows that you won't even bother to try running away from him.

You held on tight to me.

He was right. You wouldn't try to run away from him. Running away was easy, what you had planned for him would hurt much more.

'Cause nothing's as it seems.

Oz was fond of walking around the gardens and so did you. You liked remembering the trysts you had with your lover in the gardens. You still met with him and Oz, your darling husband was blissfully unaware of your infidelity.

I'm spinning out of control.

You could love him, it would be easier on you if you could love him. But you already had someone to love and the fact that he knew about it and still decided to marry you had angered you greatly. But in time, you softened. You were very fond of him but you knew

"I will never love you."

"I know," Oz says, "but I love you, isn't that enough?"

"No," you tell him sadly, "it isn't, it never will."

-

He caught you with your lover. He saw you look at him with an expression he'd never seen, he heard you laugh, he heard you speak with love. He saw the things you'd do with the man you would truly love and it slowly dawned on him that no matter how much he would try to love you. You would never really love him back.

Oz was stubborn. He wanted it all.

"You're so selfish!" Oz snapped, "we have a life together!"

"A life," you scoff, "I apologize but I can hardly call being bound to you living!"

"How could you be so heartless?" He asks you incredulously.

"Because you never had my heart."

-

You wish the walls could swallow you whole, you wish you could disappear. His hands are awash in red, you wondered, sickly, if he would be able to wash it off. The thing that caused you distress however was not the ungodly sight of blood all over his body but the sight of the heart in his hands. You screamed as he presented the organ to you.

"You said that I never had your heart," he mumbles, "it's because he had it, didn't he?"

You scream as he pins you to the wall, grinning maliciously at you. You scream as he brings the organ closer to you.

"I have it so I'm sure that you're bound to love me now, _____."

-

You search the world for something else to make you feel like what we had.
And in the end, in Wonderland, we both went mad.

AN: The song is Taylor Swift's Wonderland