Dirty Money

One of the two covers made by husseinaya for the new book. It turned out great. Thank you for the hard work!

***

Ok.

Ok.

Oooook.

K.

What do I do?

I tried the windows, but they're definetly not made for quick getaways as a 4 year old would have trouble getting out through there.

That was my plan A... and B,C,D,E.... that was my only plan.

I ran a hand again through my hair and puffed out in frustration. I can't stall too long or they'll come in here to check up on me.

I opened the bathroom door slightly, to peer at the man sitting at my table. Leo was impatiently looking at his watch and glancing through the large windows into the street.

Letting the door close silently, I stepped back, looking around once more, just in case I missed something before, but nothing is useful to me at the moment.

"Ughhh..." I let out in frustration a groan, throwing my head back in exasperation, staring at the ceiling.

A small spark of hope welled up in my chest, making a small smile start on my lips.

I went into a stall, balanced myself on the lidless toiled and stretched up towards the ceiling, lightly pushing the white square, meeting little to no resistance as it lifted up easily.

My smile turned full blown grin as a plan started forming in my head. The place was low and it might even cave in from my weight or if I make a wrong move, but I would rather have that then go home empty-handed.

Throwing my bag in there first, I took a few breaths to prepare myself for the worst, shook out the dread from my hands then tiptoed on the porcelain toilet, ready for the worst.

Reaching out, I grabbed onto two pipes ,from the apartment above, I guess ,probing for heat before fully placing my ha D's on them and pulled myself up, pushing my legs against the toilet tank to give myself a little boost as I have the upper body strength of a peanut.

I probed lightly, putting the white square back into its place, careful to keep on the metal bars rather than on the foamy tiles.

I took out my phone, activating the silent mode, then lowered the brightness to the lowest setting, to avoid unnecessary reveals.

A few minutes later, a knock is heard on the other side of the door, then another, accompanied by a familiar voice.

"Elena? Are you alright? Want me to go buy you some pills or something?" Leo's muffled voice said, followed by another short pause.

The door cracked open, letting his voice echo in the tiled bathroom.

"Elena? Are you there?" He asked again, stepping into the bathroom.

Leo's footsteps were loud in the eerily quiet place and the sound bouncing off the walls make a strange feeling creep into my spine. The feeling you get before knowing you'll get caught.

The man stopped right under me, making me hold my breath in anticipation, my toes curling in my shoes and my hands curling into tight fists in front of me.

He pushed open the door of the stall I was just in,a little hesitantly, but when it bounced back the wall and revealed no one, he gained momentum, slowly getting angry.

He threw open the other two doors, finding nothing, then stopped, his breathing heavy.

"No... Elena...No ... non si poteva ... o hai potuto?" He said, approaching the opposite wall, most probably to inspect the tiny window further.