Chapter 4: "We're Both Dorks"

Your POV

I couldn't believe the situation I was in.

Zane, my former arch enemy literally no more than 3 hours ago, was practically dragging me to his lunch spot. I had no idea why he wanted me to be his friend after his terrorization of my social life,

But then again, when did anything in my life make any sense?

I just let him grab me by the hand and lead me to my doom. No arguments, I didn't want to make an enemy of him again. But I couldn't help but wonder why after all this time, he wanted to be friends now?

Was it because I stood up to Gene?

Or something else?

I had literally no explanation as he sat under the stairs, beckoning me to join him.

He was lucky I brought my lunch

"What do you think?"

He asked, a sly smile appeared under his scarf, adding to my confusion. I simply nodded.

"It's alright."

I opened my bag and got out my sandwich, reluctantly eating it. He awkwardly stared straight at me whilst I did.

"I have a question"

I said and set the sandwich down on my bag.

"Why do you want to be my friend?"

He quietly looked in the other direction, sighing under his breath.

"I want to repay you".

He finally spoke after what seemed like decades.

"Repay me for what?"

"This"

He pointed at the Flarity bracelet I gave him weeks earlier in order for him to leave me be. I was astounded that he kept it. It was a little girl show after all.

"You don't have to be my friend to
repay that".

I said and offered a kind smile. He seemed to turn a shade of pink, pulling his scarf up violently.

"That's not all.."

He trailed off and refused to speak more of it. Of course, I wanted answers. I rummaged through my bag to find another My Little Horsies Keychain. How lucky I was that I owned limited editions.

"If you tell me, you can have this."

I shook the chain around, taunting him. He snatched it from me and continued speaking.

"When I was kicked down by Gene,"

He swallowed

"And I finally woke up, I saw you above me. You fought for me, you defended me. When I saw him punch you back, I wanted to get up and defend you. But I was too weak, and I blacked out before I could even reach for you"

He clenched his fists and beat them against the tile, an unexpectedly loud pang followed the motion.

"I felt so weak. While you were so strong. That's why, I want to be your friend. I want to protect you. Repay my debt."

He fumbled with the keychain to avoid my gaze. I was surprised, but it seemed like he had his heart set on proving he was strong.

"You don't have to repay me".

I started, but was cut off.