Chapter 6: "Daughter In-Law" Part One

Your POV

It's like I'm living in a never ending condescending comedy skit.

One moment, I'm fine. Walking to my friends house and gripping textbooks under my wrist easily.

Next moment? I trip and fall, dropping literally everything I own along with my will to live.

I hastily picked my books up when one of Zane's brothers, Vylad, strolled from his driveway and next to me, offering his hand. I took it and hoisted myself up.

"Thanks."
"No problem. What's going on here?"

He gestured to the papers I had stacked horribly in my hands.

"It was my report on Saturn. But I tripped and it became a mess".

I cracked a smile before he turned around and shrugged.

I could feel the judgement.

"No wonder Zane likes you. You're just like him."
"Excuse me?"

I asked, eyeing him carefully.

"I mean, he can't carry anything without dropping it. He's got a terrible case of butterfingers."

Vylad laughed and attempted to adjust one of my papers. It seemed to bother him that they were out of place.

"Can you tell him that I'm out here?"
"You can tell him yourself."

He pointed at the top floor window. A curtain shut abruptly. I heard shuffling inside the house.

"He's been waiting for you all morning."
"Really?"

I was surprised. Happy, but surprised.

Didn't he have anything better to do?

Zane opened the front door, glaring at his brother and joining us in the middle of the sidewalk.

"What's going on?"

He asked, taking a few papers from my arms. I allowed him to, considering my contribution to the ground earlier.

"Vylad helped me pick up the project after I tripped."

I laughed and scratched the back of my head.

But on the inside I was screaming with the power of a thousand wild animals.

Zane tugged my sweater, pointing at his house.

"Let's go inside. We'll talk to Vylad later."

I nodded, waving to his brother and made my way inside.

"Hello! Are you Zane's friend?"

A peppy voice chirped in my ear. I turned around to find Zane's mother, Zianna, with the biggest smile on her face.

"Oh! You're so cute! Perfect for my Zuu Zuu!"
"M-Mother!"

Zane was a deep scarlet, attempting to drag me upstairs to avoid further embarrassment.

"Hello, Mrs. Ro'Meave."
"Call me Zianna, sweetie!"