Chapter 12: "Outsiders"

Your POV

I muttered lyrics under my breath. I didn't want anyone to hear me. Zane was sick today so I went to school alone.

Sophomore year was over in a flash for me. I managed to get by with (barely/really) good grades and participating in no sports whatsoever. The most I did was take part in the musical, but a small one at that.

Now, as a junior in the middle of her year, I had to start looking at colleges. Zane and I already decided on the same one so we could see each other. Maybe even share a dorm.

I got off the bus with my head in the clouds. Why was this year finishing so fast? It was like yesterday was Christmas. A few weeks ago was my birthday. Now I'm 17, and wondering what I'm gonna do with my life.

Talk about existential crisis.

I know once I'm 18 I'm gonna have a mid-life crisis. I can just tell.

And I'm not even at my mid life!!

I pulled out my Pokemon Go app and hatched a few eggs while I walked to class. My new first period was Math, the bane of my existence.

Popping my earbuds in, I walked around the school listening to (song, mines above).

~~~~~~~~~~~

"How long till you're better?"
"A while."

Zane and I talked on the phone during lunch. His voice was raspy, the quality in the call didn't exactly help either.

The school wifi sucks complete ass.

"What do you even have?"
"The flu."
"Who catches the flu in March?"
"Me, apparently."

I sighed into the phone, crossing my legs and tugging at the holes in my jeans.

"I mean, you have other friends to hang out with Y/n"
"But Zane, I want to spend time with you."
"Look, just cause I'm sick doesn't mean we can't talk. But you should try making more friends."
"Ugh.."

I shuddered. The thought of people looking in made me almost sick myself.

"You know I don't deal with outsiders very well."
"You're a junior. And I'm in the same boat. But you deserve someone to keep you company while I'm dying."
"I got Aphmau."
"I don't think that counts."
"You're rude."

I hugged, putting down lunch and eating my food.

"Fine. I'll make a friend."
"Good. Have fun."
"I probably won't, but I'll try."

I sighed again.

~~~~~~~~~~

I looked around the school, pacing back and forth rather audibly.

A new friend...

I wondered, pulling my hair and thinking to myself.

"How hard can it be?"

It's extremely hard when you have absolutely no social skills.

I stood in the middle of the hallway, basically talking to myself and knocking my brain back into place when I ran into someone.

My luck exactly.

They helped me regain my composure, smiling a bit. I opened my eyes and realized I didn't recognize the person next to me.