Is this a Dream?

The cold air rushes past my face as the growing fear of getting caught spreads through my body like a wildfire. My breath is heavy and my feet keep getting stabbed with rocks, twigs, and sticks. I can hear the call of the lost boys hooting and hollering behind me. I knew I had to get out of here fast.

Soon the path ended with a cliff going into the water. I skid to a stop to avoid falling. I glanced down real quick and saw that there were sharp rocks down below. The chances of me surviving a jump down there was low.

"This is just a dream. This is just a dream." I muttered under my breath trying to calm my nerves.

"Actually love this is real." I heard the demon himself remark. "We have you trapped. There's no way out." He added taking a step towards where I was standing.

I turned to him finally gathering enough courage and remarked, "There's always a way out." I took a step back almost at the edge of the cliff.

"I'm sorry what was that love?" He questioned.

"There's always a way out!" I shouted turning around and jumping off the cliff.

I was falling, the wind was whistling past my ears, and fear had taken over my body. My arms were flailing about as if trying to fly. The water kept getting closer and closer. Before I hit the water I braced myself for impact. I shut my eyes and wrapped my arms around myself.

I never hit the water. Instead I woke up in my bed with sweat pouring down my face and a concerned child at the foot of my bed.

"Another nightmare?" The tiny girl whispered rubbing the sleep out of her chocolate brown eyes.

"Yes but I'm okay Darcy. Go back to bed before Mrs. C catches you." I whispered shooing the little girl away.

"It's alright Mrs. C is a deep sleeper and you know it. Plus I'm scared and you look like you need someone to snuggle with you." She reasoned showing me her puppy dog eyes.

"Okay fine come on up." I said patting the spot next to me on the bed.

Darcy happily hopped on the bed her curly brown head snuggled into me and one of her tiny arms wrapped itself around my waist. I pulled the covers so that it was covering both of us and started playing with her hair. I'd learnt over the three years that I've known her that playing with her hair would put her right to sleep.

As you're all probably wondering I live in an all girls orphanage. There was ten of us in the orphanage ranging from the ages six to sixteen. I was the oldest and Darcy was the youngest. Not only am I the oldest but I've been here the longest. There was Mara age 15, Taylor also age 15, Lizzy age 13 and her twin sister Rachel, Bella age 14, Katie age 12, Dani age 10, Aliza age 8 and little Darcy age 6.

Being the oldest at age 16 meant caring for the younger girls. We were a family nonetheless and I was like a mom to them as Mrs. C was basically the opposite of a mom.

Mrs. C was a woman in her mid forties who hated her job with a passion. Although she found advantages in it. One of them being that she could cause pain to children, she was a sadistic woman and treated us as slaves ordering us to do everything she desired and god forbid we ever disobey her. One girl died once from the whipping she was given. None of us have gone to the police for fear that the rest of the girls would get punished and possibly killed for it.

It would be hard to do anyway as none of us were allowed out of the house. Only Mrs. C was allowed to do that. The only escape for us would be to get adopted but even then it wasn't very ideal to get adopted because Mrs. C invited the worst kind of people to come by and adopt one of us. Most of the girls adopted are never heard of again.

So basically there's no escape until your 18 years of age because then you're legally an adult. No one usually makes it to that age around here as they've all been adopted or died from starvation or the punishments inflicted. I'm hoping that I'll reach the age of 18 and once I do I'll adopt all the girls in this orphanage no matter the price. We are family and I'm hoping to save them.

My plan for tonight was to stay awake as a certain demon was in my dreams. It's very hard to stay awake and at some point that night my eyes closed and the demon was holding me in his arms wedding style.

"Welcome back Love."