Chapter 12

It was late at night when Shadow awoke, his stomach grumbling for food.

And he knew that after all the stress and straining that Sonic did to give birth to their pups, he knew that his Submissive would be hungry too.

Gently nudging Sonic awake, he softly told his mate that he was going out hunting for them.

Sonic, his mind still foggy with sleep, merely nodded and returned to his rest, still needing to recuperate from his ordeal.

Giving a loving lick to his mate's cheek, Shadow left the cave and, after looking to make sure the coast was clear, he went off into the night to hunt.

Sonic remained fast asleep, unconsciously curling closer around his precious eggs.

But it seemed that the poor Uke's troubles were not over yet as something made it's way out of the dense forest and towards the cave, two more figures joining the first soon after.

Sonic's ear twitched when a twig snapped in the quiet of the night. Blinking his heavy eyelids open, he yawned, showing off his deadly fangs before he curiously looked around the empty cave.<br /><br />

"Shadow?" he called out tiredly, wondering if he was back yet.

But the sound of footsteps grew closer and closer.

Instantly realizing that his mate's steps didn't sound like that--nor did he have that many footsteps,even with four legs--the young Submissive immediately grew worried as a cold feeling of dread overcame him, making him instinctively lay over his precious eggs in an attempt to hide then.

But no matter how hard he would have tried, his efforts were futile as the figures got closer and closer, something hanging from each of the figure's shoulder.

Sonic's eyes grew wide in realization. Humans!!

As soon as they stepped foot in the cave, he snarled low, sending out a warning growl that immediately had them all stopping.

Realising that that things were not going their way, one of the humans lifted the object hanging from their shoulder and aimed it at the Submissive; it clicked as the other two humans stalked slowly closer.

Sonic clenched his eyes shut at the bright light that was suddenly blinding him from the flashlight the first human held.

Realizing that the humans had spotted him and were getting closer still, the Submissive stood from his nest and gave a loud hiss, showing all of his deadly fangs where poisonous saliva could also be seen as his quills stood high all along his neck and back, making him look bigger and more threatening. Flexing his deadly claws, he growled dangerously as he protectively stood between the alien creatures and his eggs.

But the humans still didn't back down, instead, they got closer, and that's when Sonic really began to feel desperate.

Sonic was slowly beginning to panic, but he couldn't let them see that. But, when one came entirely too close for his comfort zone, the Submissive lunged at him with an angered roar, fangs and claws ready to kill.

A loud bang suddenly filled the cave and pain shot through Sonic's back leg, making him cry out and back away from the humans, trying to get back to his eggs - he instantly knew what had happened.

He'd been shot.

But just one dart wasn't enough to knock out a Black Arms, not even a Submissive. While the tranquilizer darts could knock out a full grown bull elephant in under a minute, it would take at least 2 to drop a Sub.

The Submissive still gave a warning growl at the approaching humans, making his way back to the nest.

He gave a whimper when the gun was aimed at him again, but instead of a growl, he gave a high pitch roar--a cry for help to his mate that was able to travel miles if needed--right before said cry was abruptly cut off by a gunshot.