Chapter 14

The Black Arms couple ran back to their territory for quite some time, not taking too many breaks for fear of being caught off guard again in such unfamiliar woods.

It was around nightfall when they both finally noticed familiar trees, outcroppings, and terrain. Their home was close.

Shadow, however, was quick to notice that everything around them had suddenly gone deathly quiet. He was quick to signal his mate to stop.

The silence stretched on for a few minutes before two howling roars echoed through the trees --one sounding highly familliar.

Both Black Arms frowning in confusion, Sonic set his eggs down and returned a deafening warning roar back with Shadow.

They wondered just who it could be??

Their wariness only grew when the roar wasn't returned.

Sharing a concerned glance at each other, both Sonic and Shadow picked up their bundles and went to investigate, though they were extremely cautious.

Staying ahead of his mate, but close enough to still protect him, Shadow lead the way to their cave which was only a few minutes up ahead.

After sniffing around to make sure no more intruders had invaded their home--other than the fading scent of those disgusting humans-- Shadow ushered Sonic inside the cave, looked round the alcove to make sure the coast was clear, and headed inside himself with their remaining three eggs.

But when that familiar roar sounded again, Shadow became fed up with all this playing around and went to investigate.

Going to the entrance of his cave, he let out a thundering roar before angrily shouting, "Alright, whoever's out there, show yourself!! Both of you!!"

His demand was met with silence once more.

But suddenly, the dense foliage around the trunks of the trees ahead began to shake and rustle as something large moved through them and directly towards the Dominant.

Shadow crouched low in a defensive position, growling low in his throat. If there was something out there that could harm his family, he would be there to face it this time.

However, he wasn't expecting to suddenly be tackled by a large ebony lizard with greenish-blue streaks and striking green cat-like eyes.

"What the- - MEPH?!?!" Shadow stared up in shock at his smirking brother, the other ebony Black Arms having pinned him to the ground on his back and was currently sitting rather smugly on his sibling's stomach.

A giggle then caught his attention and he looked to see a silver scaled Submissive slink out the bushes and saunter towards the two brothers, saying, "I told you that pounching on them would scare them."

Mephiles chuckled before hopping off his annoyed brother.

After getting back up and shaking the dust from his hide, Shadow asked his sibling, "So, what are you doing here?"

The amusement slipped from the pair's faces as they glanced to each other before Mephiles spoke up, "Shadow, we really need your help, brother... Our territory was burned down by humans and... Th-they took..." he couldn't finish his sentence...

The teal-striped male lowered his ears and head as tears began to fall, the silver Sub's ears lowering sadly as he nuzzled his Dominant to comfort him the best way he could.

Shadow only imagine what happened. Their eggs had been taken too...

"Do you have any idea where the humans went?" Shadow asked softly, feeling sorry for his older brother.

"We could try and catch them if we still have a chance..."

The silver male spoke up, his voice cracking in sadness, "We don't know where they went... They were trying to capture our eggs and me... But, Mephie only had enough time to save me... The humans started to burn down our territory and escaped in their metal.....thing before Mephiles could get them back..."

"....Shadow just came back from rescuing me from the humans," Sonic said softly as he exited the cave, giving his friend a consoling smile.

"Hi, Silver..." he said softly, going over to nuzzle his saddened friend, wishing they could've been able to meet under much happier circumstances than now.

"Hi Sonic..." Silver mumbled as he returned the nuzzle.

The blue Sub then turned to his mate's brother and said, "I'm sorry for everything that's happened to you, but I was taken away from our territory--along with our own eggs--by the humans. But I remember where they took me and Shadow does too. We were able to kill the humans and we escaped....so, maybe your eggs are back at the place where they had me..."

Meph blinked at that and glanced between his brother and mate, "You really remember?" he asked.

"Of course," Shadow nodded, "I ran the whole entire way. We're just getting back, actually..."

"Could you help us then?" Silver pleaded desperately, before offering, "Me and Sonic could stay back to look after your own eggs while you and Meph could go after ours? Please?"

"I don't see why not," Shadow said, "and our cave is big enough for all of us; you two can stay here with us for as long as you like..."

Sonic nodded in agreement, much to the other couple's delight.

“Thank you," the silver Submissive smiled, tears gathering in the corners of his amber eyes, "Thank you so much!"

Shadow smiled and nodded before both Dominants escorted their Submissives back inside the cave.

The Subs then went about gently taking the eggs out the bags and putting them back in Sonic's nest as the Doms set off at high speed to the village to retrieve Mephiles' and Silver's eggs.

"I hope they find them," Sonic murmured, nuzzling his best friend from they were now curled up in Sonic's nest together around his eggs.

“Me too," Silver mumbled as he curled a little tighter around the eggs.

"How many did you have?" Sonic asked curiously.

"Two," the silver Submissive smiled fondly.

"Aww, cute little twins, how sweet," Sonic smiled before nuzzling one of his own, saying proudly, "And you can see how many I've had..."

"It must have been so much trouble carrying six little ones," Silver chuckled softly.

"Trust me, it was," Sonic chuckled. "I was always tired, and the further I went into the pregnancy, the less I could move. Shadow had to help me with everything by then..."

“But they're all worth it," he purred, nuzzling his babies.

Silver smiled broadly at that, "They sure are."

"Come on," Sonic said, yawning, "We should get some rest. Shadow and Mephiles won't be back till morning..."

"I don't know if I'll be able to sleep... I'm too worried about what could happen..." Silver sniffled, whimpering a bit.

Sonic blinked before nuzzling his friend who was on the verge of tears again, "I can understand how you feel. When I was captured and they took me away from my home, I....I thought I would never see my mate again."

"But I put my trust in him and it wasn't long before he rescued me," he smiled. "You just have to trust that Mephiles will do the same..."

"I trust him," Silver mumbled sadly, "I trust Mephiles with my life... I'm just scared..."

"I know..." the azure nodded in understanding. "But right now, all we can do is hope for the best..."

Nodding his agreement, Silver finally calmed and rested his head on his paws, closing his eyes and letting sleep take over.
Sonic smiled down at his friend, looked out the cave for moment and curled up to rest as well.

They were able to sleep peacefully the whole entire night...